BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Lurker

Default My Yerf Dog project

I'll have more pictures tonight. The engine is a 86' Honda Rebel 4 stroke 250 and it only has 4,000 miles on it. I extended the rear end on the buggy 12'' but has you can tell in the picture was taken before that. If any one has questions or different opinions than shoot.By the way my name use to be Socal559 but it wouldn't let me sign back in.

Last edited by HondaRebelYerf; 05-29-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Are you using the stock axle?How is the motor going to be mounted?chain tensioner or adjustable engine mounting?Are you going to use shifter cables?Did stretching the swingarm give you a clear chain alignment to the sprocket?Sorry so many questions!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Lurker

I haven't even messed with mounting the engine yet. I'm pretty sure the stock axel won't last with this engine am I right?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

That rebel engine isn't too much for the stock axle, trying to get the welded sprocket hub to align may take some ingenuity though.Possibly flipping the axle and moving the brake to the other side may be an option. You need to do some serious planning before mounting anything. Rebel motors aren't torque monsters so that's a plus,reliable is another plus. Keep us posted
Old 04-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Lurker

I was planning on flippping the axle around. I got it in my welding class. My teacher is a Harley guy and he told me getting the shifter hooked up will be easy. I even have one of those CNC tables to work with. Do you know of ways to beef up that axle? The reason I extended the rear end was so I can have a long travel suspension in the rear. What are the weakest points on this buggy?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Look-up CKAU's posts- he has pics of his 3rd bearing in the center of the swing arm. The axles issue is that the steel it's made from doesn't allow much flexing and it snaps the axle at the transition to threads.I tried 2 of the HD axles from buggy depot and didn't break one but they bent pretty easy. I ended up using a 1-1/4" hex axle with great success from my parted out Jehm BX125. It ended up being 9" wider and super stout with just the 2 stock bearing locations. If relocating your stock brake caliper due to flipping the axle pay attention to getting the bleeder on top. I can't remember what the stock caliper looks like as I changed ours out years ago for a motorcycle caliper. Your idea of long travel is going to be comfort and a longer turning radius, these stock have about the worst turning radius out there!!! I found after a couple of years of pounding the swing arm connection wore out.(I think I posted pics on one of my Yerfdog threads) I don't believe your engine is going to do any unatural wear on the chassis.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

I knew I had pics- http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1107 Here's CKAU's axle mod http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=864 Maybe this will help
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Lurker

Here's my progress so for. I welded in those guzzets tonight and the square tube that's connected across the tubes that extended the rear. I won't be able to work on for a week because of spring break. So in the mean time I'll do body work on my 72' Nova. I was checking out Ckau's axle and his setup looks really nice. I might just copy some of it but put my own twist to it.Sorry my pictures are so small its because there from my crappy phone lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame.jpg (16.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpeg rear and engine.jpeg (6.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpeg rear end.jpeg (6.1 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by HondaRebelYerf; 04-15-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Lurker

I have got a lot done with this project the last few weeks so here is a few pictures. Right now I'm doing a lot of measuring to get the engine mounts all lined up.What I'm doing is using all the brackets off the Rebel bike, I used a plasma cutter to cut the whole thing the motor sat on in the bike. I through a picture of my other project the ,1972, Nova I'm working if you guys wanted to check that out
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Honda.jpeg (11.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpeg Honda2.jpeg (10.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpeg Motor1.jpeg (10.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpeg Motor2.jpeg (9.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpeg Motor3.jpeg (10.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpeg Nova.jpeg (8.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by HondaRebelYerf; 05-25-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Nice nova! I'd comment on your project if I could see it- Can you try to post a larger size jpeg-214 x 160 isn't large enough for us older eyes!!!Try 400 x 600 pixels
Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Lurker

Sorry about the pictures being small. When I post more pictures I'll make them bigger.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Lurker

looks cool