BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 09-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Lurker

Default New Trailmaster 300

I just ordered a Trailmaster 300 for my wife from Travis at Steeleā€™s Powersports. Being new to the buggy world I am seeking any suggestions for performance enhancement or areas of concern.

I have not found much useful information on the net about the 300. The best information I have found thus far has been on this forum. I really appreciate the overview by Kliff, very helpful, thanks.

I live in southern Mississippi but will mostly be trail riding in areas with steep hills. Speed is not paramount but low end torque is.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Lite Contributor

I have the same buggy & posted about a perfect fit temp gauge I found. I like it. I'm getting a new spring & some sliders from Travis this week to see if it will climb better. Don't get me wrong this buggy climbs well with just me in it but with 2 adults it could be better. He's getting a smaller top sprocket in a few weeks which should help even more. And if all that doesn't work I guess I'll have to break down and get the aftermarket clutch he sells. Travis is the only guy I've found with aftermarket parts for the 300xrx. Congratulations on the buggy too. I love mine. I'm also wanting to throw bigger tires on it. Kid4life has an amazing set up on his 250ss.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Lurker

Thanks Trailrider,
I am still putting it together, missing the bolts for the steering wheel and the gear case leaks. I did pick up the temp gauge you recommended, thanks for your post.
Unlike yours mine did come in an angle iron crate and was well protected. Maybe Trailmaster read you post.
I am hoping to have time to get it running this week.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Lite Contributor

That's a bummer about the gear case leaking. Hopefully it's not too hard to fix. At first I definitely had small crap going wrong like bolts missing and a few welds broke cuz all the vibrating. I have almost 400 miles on mine now and it's working great! Just gotta get the "bugs" worked out. And change your oil soon the 1st time. I'd say less than 5 minutes. Just like kliff said in his review. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM

Have u changed rear sprokets yet?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Lite Contributor

No I'm actually going to change the top sprocket to a smaller one. Just waiting for the guy to get them in stock. Just a heads up, I went to upgrade my cvt with lighter sliders and a harder main spring and found my clutch was already worn out completely. The pads were showing metal already. That's with under 400 miles. I have a dr pulley hit clutch I'm putting in it Saturday. Hopefully it lasts much longer. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:24 PM

Good deal
Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Lite Contributor

I just got the new Hit clutch installed+Lighter sliders+yellow main spring. It seemed pretty good. The biggest difference seems to be the sliders and springs. they really help with the type of riding I do, hill climbing/mudding. I installed the clutch with the springs that it came with. I'm pretty sure theyre the lightest ones. engagement is really smooth on take off. how can I tell if my pillow springs are engaging? I mean they should be with the light springs but its not like the buggy just spins the tires on pavement. probably just not enough power to do so. I might try a heavier clutch arm spring and bit heavier pillow. Just not sure what these clutches should feel like? cvt does seem to be running much cooler probably because its not slipping anymore. I know im kind of rambling on.... anyways if anyone has any experience or advice with these clutches I could really use it. Thank you.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 PM

have u changed the sprockets yet?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Lite Contributor

No Steeles doesn't have them yet. Should be real soon though. I'm betting that's where I'll really notice a difference! Gonna put it through the paces tomorrow and see how she does. I only rode for about 20 minutes today with just me. Tomorrow ill have a passenger so that will be the real test.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:14 PM

Happy trails!