BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Lite Contributor

Default 250cc vs 150cc

I have to choose between a liquid cooled 250cc Dazon and an air cooled Helix 150cc. Both need some work and both are priced at $450. The Dazon has lights and mud fenders that the Helix does not. The Dazon new cost about $1200 more than the Helix. The 150cc engines seem to have lots more mod parts but perhaps the 250cc has enough power without them. I can do the work on both and think the Dazon will be $150 cheaper to restore. Neither cart can be started due to dead batteries but are claimed to be running. Is the cooant system in the 250cc more trouble prone than the air cooled 150cc? Are parts for the Dazon 250cc harder to come by than the 150cc Helix? I am a good amateur mechanic. With this info, what do you advise for a first cart? I am in paralysis by analysis and need advice!

Last edited by Gawald; 05-16-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Heavy Contributor

Can you take a battery with you to check them out?? I have seen many come on the forum after buying a first buggy that was "claimed" to be running. Only to end up needing lots of parts. But given what you have described. If you want power go with the 250. Parts are not difficult to come by as these engines are everywhere. New parts are just a google search away. Or you can call Tom at Syc Powersports and he can get whatever you need. He is also a wealth of info. Just click on the banner at the top of the page to go to his website and click the contact tab at the top. I am amazed at what my 150 does but I have often whished I had payed the extra for the 250.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Lite Contributor

Default 250cc vs 150cc

Thanks for the input. I expect to spend time and $ on either buggy. My question is which buggy would you recommend after they are up and running? I suspect the 250cc as most posters on the 150cc forum complain that they want more acceleration, speed, and climbing power. Would the 250cc give this? Is the 250cc power increase worth the increased complexity in coolant system and transmission?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 PM

A built 150 can often beat a stock 250 from what I've read. Most guys with the 250's want to jump up to a larger engine as well a lot of times. Usually looking into a 400 or 500cc engine swap. So no matter where you look, guys are always looking for more power.

I suggest you look at some of the other things as well. How are the tires? Does the 150 only have a single disc brake or are they on the fronts as well? What type of suspension are both karts using? (specifically what is the rear drive set up?) Where and how will yu be driving the kart mostly? You may want the smaller framed 150 for trails. Also how will you be transporting the kart? My 150 fits right ino the bed of my truck. Not sure if a 250 would?

To be honest, if you're going to be sinking $$ into the engine's anyway, you might want to consider an engine swap right from the start. If you can get a good solid chassis for cheap, you might be able to find larger (motorcycle, ATV, snow mobile) engine for cheap too.

Just somethings to think about.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Heavy Contributor

There you go.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Lite Contributor

Default It is the Dazon!

Thanks for your insights. I'm going with the 250cc Dazon. It has front and rear hydraulic brakes, the Helix doesn't. The tires have 2/3 tread on the Dazon and the Helix tires are slick. Will keep you informed as to how this turns out.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:10 AM

If ur set on buying this buggy, start your investment off with a new battery to take with u and see if it runs at all, if not, try it on the helix next!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Contributor

For my self and the type of riding I do, the suspension would be the determing factor for me. Is the rear of the Dazon a live axle or independent? I am amazed at where my 150 Hammer head will go after I did some mods on the engine. Out in the desert, the little 150 will go plenty fast and climb any hill I need to, but when the going gets rough, I have to slow down.

For myself, whether it is a full size buggy, dirt bike, or mini buggy, suspension is more inportant then horse power. No matter how much HP you have, if you can't get a good run at a hill because of the bumps at the bottom, you probably won't make it.

Also, check the overall roughness of the buggy. Was it left out side and you have cracked seats and brittle wires, or were they stored correctly.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Power User

look up "cn250" and cf250" here on the forums .. I'm pretty sure it works out as there's one of them you don't want to get.