BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

View Poll Results: Was there enough information provided by asker to help with problem?
The asker gave sufficient information for me to help. 0 0%
I need more information to help with this problem. 0 0%
I am not familiar with this model or engine. 0 0%
The post was too long and I hate to read. 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Lurker

Default A lil friendly advice please for a dad in Need ASAP!

Ok long story short. Have kids for Summer and was gonna buy a go kart from the neighbor but it fell through. I found a Murray Explorer. I tried to buy it 3 years ago. It has been sitting in storage since before then. It looks to be in decent shape. It has a 6 HP overhead valve engine and torque drive trans (not sure what all that means but I am a little bit of a mechanically sensible person. The brakes seem to need adjusting but that looks fairly simple and does not have me overly concerned. I know it will need the regular services after being stored so long such as carb. cleaned/replaced, new spark plug, oil, you know all the obvious. Well being the first deal fell through I want to get them something soon and get it going so they can enjoy it the last few weeks before summer is over, but I have never owned a go-kart so I would like to know if anyone is familiar with either this brand or something similar and can tell me what to look for as far as the mechanics of the rest of the machine go. I have never owned anything close other than a riding mower, so I am not familiar with the clutches or torque drive trans. or other workings. The kart will need a little work I know, but I think I can get it for about $100 to $150 and I don't mind putting a couple more in it if it will be a good ride for them. I have 3 and a half acres and live in a quiet country neighborhood so it will see some asphalt and some maintained grass for the most part, with the occasional wide ditch(nothing dangerous or steep). I also would like to know if anyone knows any websites (with Links if you have it) where I could look into what parts would cost for it (if you can even get them still) and maybe see what it should look like from the factory verses what it looks like now as far as the mechanics go. The cosmetics are not so critical as we can fix that as a family. The guy that has it said it was running great when he parked it, but you know how that goes. When I asked him about selling it 3 years ago he said he was keeping it for his grand-daughter, but she should be old enough to have her liscense by now. The only thing I saw on it in the few minutes I looked it over was that there seemed to be a bracket or something by both front tires between the frame and the wheel) that had a good bit of rust. I guess it could have even been a spacer or part of the axle. The frame and motor were not rusty so I wonder why these 2 whatevers were so rusty but nothing around them was. Also, the as far as I know this could have been in a little salt water from the tidal surge from Hurricane Katrina, but I will really look it over this morning and see what kind of shape it is in. I plan to take some tools and remove covers or whatever, so I can get a good look at it before I agree to a price. Personally I think if the motor is not seized up and I can get it for $100.00 to $150.00 I will buy it as long as I find that parts are not impossible to get. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I am in Gulfport, MS so if I can do anything to help you just let me know. Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 AM
Lurker

Sorry I rambled so much but I was trying to give all of the info I could.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

The kart you're interested in are plentiful and most the parts are universal.It is also a simple kart to start off with as it is easy to repair or replace parts,try the vendors links on this site first for parts. Most of the time a manual isn't neccessary for maintenance or repair work. This site has most of the info you'll probably need-Buggymaster has vid's on youtube that may help with understanding how it works and what it's supposed to look like. After being stored all this time the carb will need to be cleaned and fuel replaced.(unless you got lucky and the owner drained the fuel for storage)
Take some pic's that's always the easiest way for us to help when we can see what you've got and trying to explain. to post a pic- "go advanced" scroll down to the manage attachments button and upload.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 AM
Administrator

My honest advice would be to avoid this machine. One major downside to a Murray expolorer is actually a lack of parts. Now if the parts that are on it can be repaired, that's fine but I can't think of a single place that sells parts that are specific to their machines. They haven't been made in a long time. If it has the standard tecumseh on it, plan on that carb needing replaced. They are $85. They are extremely difficult to clean their carbs successfully because the passages are very very small.

The bottom line is that you should be able to find a running machine even for $150. My vote is to pass on it.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Lite Contributor

i agree with buggymaster. look for manco critter or even a homemade gokart on craigslist for which parts are easy to get your hands on
Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

It's an EXTREMELY easy kart to fix in my opinion.I often forget the mindset of a new/first time kart/buggy owner.I seldom buy replacement parts as most used buggies/karts are not for sale new anymore.I'm always finding parts that are universal such as those sold at Northern,TSC,BMI,ect... like Buggymaster said.Stock replacement parts when available are always expensive or on back order!-so I don't even try. The Explorer doesn't have any exclusive parts that can't be replaced with some other product currently available. You just have to think outside the manufacturer. I've fixed and sold them with no trouble. Their frames are pretty solid and you don't have any suspension to deal with.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Lurker

Thanks guys. I got the murray. I put a new carb on it but something is wrong with the way the linkage is hooked up for the throttle. My guess is someone tried to fix it and put it back on wrong or took something from another mwer or similar type apparatus. I would love a diagram or a picture so I can see what needs to be fixed. I put the new carb on it and it crunk first pull, but the throttle is stuck on wide open. It almost got away from me. I also would like to know what type of key i need for the kill switch. The original is missing and I would like to have something on it just in case before I cut my kids loose on it.