BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Lite Contributor

Default gas gauge doesnt work

hey i have a kinroad 150cc it has the nice little dash on it with a gas gauge and speedometer, the gas gauge does not work, are there any common problems that i should check out?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Supporting Vendor

Has it ever worked? TOM
Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Lite Contributor

not since i got it like 4 months ago, but i also think i'm the third owner of it
Old 03-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Supporting Vendor

Check your wiring, there will be a 2 wire plug to the pickup in the tank, make sure the wire colors match up on both sides of the plug. Also make sure your tail light works, for I have seen the sender and tail light plugs swapped. Also if your fuel enrichment is not working it could have been swapped with it. If your engine starts and doesn't run poorly when hot the enrichment valve is working. If the plugs and wiring seems OK go to the gauge you should have 3 wires one for lights one as a ground and one to the sender in tank, ground the wire which goes to the sender in tank at gauge. If gauge moves to full the gauge is OK than it would be in the sender. Sometimes the very small contacts do not contact the wound wire. How the gauge works is when the contacts are at one end of the wound wire you have an open and the gauge will read empty as the contacts move up the wound wire less resistance occurs moving the fuel towards full. Some times the float can go bad. If the gauge checks good you can pull the sender and with it plugged in manually move the float up and wtch the gauge. It is really a simple system but cheaply made as most senders today are made. TOM
Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Lite Contributor

thanks, now that's what i call an answer!