BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 07-20-2018, 09:37 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Best set up for headlights

I have a Helix 150cc.it didn't have a battery (12v 12mah) I am currently using my riding tractor battery. Seems to work no issues. I am wanting to add headlights and asking if i could with this "lawn mower" battery. The reason I added "Helix 150cc" is I posted this on other forums and all say I need a "alternator". Am I assuming the "generator" is the alternator? It is stock and also asking if this generator will charge this battery if I get headlights? I plan to install a voltage meter to keep track of battery status. I am just getting a lot of mixed info.

It is a Helix 150cc with all "stock" parts. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:20 AM
Contributor

As long as you don't go crazy yes your battery will run the lights and you charging system will keep up.

How many poles is your stator?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Contributor

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-1800l...ed+flood+light

Run those on my buggy with no problems. You can shop around and find them cheaper from other brands but I've dealt with that brand and they have done me right in the past. I do have an 8 pole stator and using the $20 wal mart lawn mower battery.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Supporting Vendor

I have the stock 6 pole in my buggy and use led lights with the original size battery with no problems. I was messing with the lights one day and left them on. I was gone 3 days lights burning. When I got home it was dark out and noticed I had left the lights on. The buggy still started. LED's draw barely nothing.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:53 PM
Lite Contributor

All sounds good.Neo u say u have "8 pole" and Sycarms u say u have "6 pole". Which one is "stock"? I also have "lawn mower" battery. I have it up top in back. I thought about "upgrading" the stator just so I wouldn't worry about lights. Neo good call, those lights I did plan to get. Good to know it will support the lights. Neo, I assume those lights effective? Would I also need a "flood" light as well? Sycarms, assuming I have the "stock" 6 pole what lights do u have?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Contributor

Either can be stock. Depending on the year the early buggies had 6 more often and later ones come with 8.

As for flood or spot its a personal decision. IMHO these things don't go fast enough to really need to shine the light further down like a spot does. I'd rather have a wider beam closer around me. I also run floods on my 4 wheelers.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:15 PM
Lite Contributor

OK. I think I should be fine with those posted as link. My only issues is just to be seen more than seeing. I don't ride pitch black but some parts that I go thru woods that makes it hard to see. Those u posted have a switch to turn on/off? I looked but don't state that.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:03 AM
Contributor

No switch with them. I reused the factory switch on my kinroad for awhile with no problems.

Last edited by neo71665; 08-07-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:46 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDSTEEL View Post
All sounds good.Neo u say u have "8 pole" and Sycarms u say u have "6 pole". Which one is "stock"? I also have "lawn mower" battery. I have it up top in back. I thought about "upgrading" the stator just so I wouldn't worry about lights. Neo good call, those lights I did plan to get. Good to know it will support the lights. Neo, I assume those lights effective? Would I also need a "flood" light as well? Sycarms, assuming I have the "stock" 6 pole what lights do u have?
My original Blade buggy come with a 4 pole stator. The buggy had 2 35W head lights. When I added the 2 35W lights to top bar the stator would not keep up with batt charge so I went to a 6 pole stator and everything worked as should. My next project was to replace with a 12 pole stator so I could run higher wattage lighting. Than come the led lights. When one of my headlights got broken I replaced them with led's and eventually the top lights as well. When my 12 pole stator went out on me I went back with a 6 pole and have had since. The bigger the stator the more power it robs from the engine,. LED lights use barely any power so a 6 pole will work just fine.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Lite Contributor

THAT I understand. Thank in advance for ur guys support and knowledge. I am a 11yr vet as "Heavy Machine Operator". I turn keys and steering wheels not wrenches. This is my 5 yr old and mine project. She loves it. I appreciate all your guys support. Again, Thank you. If you need anything let me know. www.facebook.com/projectpcrepair
Old 08-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Supporting Vendor

I'll bet you love it as much as she, oh and thank you for your service to our Country.