BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Off Topic and Other Forums > ATV, Dirt bike and UTV Reviews

ATV, Dirt bike and UTV Reviews Reviews for various ATV's, Dirt bikes and UTV's.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Default BuggyMasters Review: 2003 Polaris Predator 500

Here, my friends, sits one of the most under-appreciated four wheelers ever made and also one of the baddest machines we have owned. Still to date, I think the only one we have owned that is more powerful would be the Suzuki LTR450 or the TRX700XX.

When talking about Polaris, people either love them or they hate them and when it comes to thier sport four wheelers, they seem to hate them. I still can't understand because I'm here to tell you that this thing spanks most of the competition! And this is the 2003 model. The new Outlaws are KTM powered and supposed to be even faster!!

The weak spot on these, in our educated opinion, is the handling department. The suspension was the best of any we have had. Factory Fox shocks provided 11 inches of travel in the rear!!! What they messed up on with these machines is they didn't build a wider stance to it. Add 2 inches to each corner, and maybe even drop it down a little and may have voted this number one. In stock current form, however, the handling (not we are not talking about the suspension / shocks, just the ability to corner well) left a little bit to be desired.

This thing wears a big ol' set of balls though so you better have a set to match. It is one of very few four wheelers that actually threw me off (see the you tube channel) as it's massive powerplant broke the tires loose slinging around a corner. Had the machine had those extra two inches at each corner, I think I would have been able to ride it out.

One advantage to people not typically liking these four wheelers, is that you can pick them up relatively cheap (typically no more than $2k). Ours was like brand new. Had only been ridden a few times over one winter and we picked it up for a song. So, if you are in the market, don't let the seller bluff you into thinking he's got a bunch of interest, there just isn't. We practically had to give ours away.

One other thing to note is that reverse didn't arrive on these until 2005. Not an issue for us. Turn the wheel, hit the gas, and hang on. It will face any direction you want it to.

Pros: Super fast, typically cheap in used form

Cons: Needs extended a-arms to be perfect. A lot of people hate these machines. No reverse till 2005.

BuggyMasters Overall Rating: 8 out of 10