BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Contributor

Default torq.conv.

I have herd that snowmobile torq.converters come on faster and are stronget.Is this true.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

Apples to oranges. You have to look at the weight to displacement for the vehicle. Yes they come on faster and are stronger but considdering the weight and cc's of the snowmobile compared to the average buggy. A 500cc XY powersports buggy will also come on faster and is stronger. Two different machines, 2 different applications. For instance you can put a stronger clutch setup on the 150cc but will still have its limits due to a 5 HP engine in a 400lb vehicle. Most of the buggies are under powered, but the combo the chinese use keep them affordable.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Contributor

Thanks just thinking and you know yhat's dangerious
Old 06-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

What buggy do you have and what issues?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Contributor

Will start gathering parts and desiding from there.

USE WHAT YOU HAVE AND BILD WHAT YOU NEED
Old 06-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Contributor

A 5hp should not need more than a series 30 torque converter as 8 to 10hp will need the series 40.A snowmoblie could have the series 44 big bear torque convertor the same as in higher hp quads plus the snowmoblie is running on slick slippery snow. mancoman
Old 06-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

The other main issue with a snowmobile clutch is that they usually have a tapered slot, this won't work on most engines other than 2-strokes. Mancoman is correct- snowmobile CVT systems are designed for lot's of HP. Don't know that they perform better than a #30 series Comet type CVT.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:50 AM
Lurker

Default Slipping Belt Comet 40 series.

Hi,

I have recently pulled the drive and driven units apart and cleaned them up as my belt started slipping when I was using the kart for a wake winch*. I think it loaded it too much. The belt started smoking. I thought it may have been because the surfaces the belt runs on was a bit ordinary hence the cleaning. I also thought the clutches may not have been operating correctly.

After all that mucking around of cleaning inside and out, using the dry spray on lube etc etc., I put it together again and it worked for about 5 minutes and just started slipping again.

Another problem I have is that the “driven” unit/pully is not expanding as the revs go up so it keeps the biggest circumference. I had the kart jacked up but it wouldn’t expand no matter how fast I revved it. I am not sure if this was happening before the belt issue or if it has started since then?

The belt actually looks like it is in pretty good condition. Even so, if I could source one locally I would just buy one so I could test it and see if that is the problem. ( I am from Townsville in Australia.)

Could the belt be the cause of these two issues?

Thanks

*To run the wake winch, I jacked the back wheel up, clamped a reel I made up onto the tyre and away I went. It worked fine with my young fella, but I was a bit big and it couldn’t get me up.
That was when the belt started to burn.