BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Lurker

Unhappy hello from the new guy

am new to buggies and have a few guestions. have a brend new honda gx240 for my buggy and am wondering if anyone knows where to get a motor sprocket or clutch for the 3/4 taperd cranck
Old 12-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome- Unfortunately you've got a generator specific engine- I haven't been able to find a CVT clutch or ATV/snowmobile clutch that will work-and I've tried several times. The only solution I made work was I demo'ed the generators armature and salvaged the shaft with the tapered portion,We cut it off 3" long (1/4" longer than the end of the taper) & then had the guy I was helping have it turned down @ a machine shop (his clutch was 1" bore)
Old 12-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Lurker

Default thanks

that sounds like it will work. only problem is i only got the brand new engine, no gen or fuel tank. but, if u come up with anything else i would love to here your ideas
Old 12-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Power User

To be honest, I'd give a go at trying to e-bay or CL off the engine and use the funds for something that is closer to a bolt in. Not sure, but aren't you going to have to put a different carb etc on it? I thought the generator engines are setup for steady state running with good fuel economy and not much else.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

The only difference I could find was the tapered shaft-everything else is the same. Most engines (not go kart specific) need a throttle plate with a return spring to replace the stationary set-up.I'd sell it, bummer is that there's not much call for that type of engine.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Power User

If the guys in the link i posted in your other thread can't make something for you, the only other idea i have is to have an automotive machine shop with a good crank service make a tapered ID bushing ( bushing with 1 in. OD has some options, doesn't it ?) matching yours, weld it in and grind it down. No idea if the cost is worth it.