BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Lite Contributor

Default another spiderbox upgrade

what do ya'll think about putting in the kidnme DR2 vibraitor with the 2 different slider rollers 3 are for low end take off the there are 3 different for top end? My howlett seems to get it power boost about mid RPM and up. I would like to get that power right off the line. Or do ya'll have a better sugestion? I'm willing to listen. Also what is the opinion of using synthetic engine oil. I have put on kn filter, rejetted the carb high o/p coil and lytrium plug. Dont get me wrong my kart is running gooood, but looking for the next thing to do.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

Ive got one of tom's DR2 variators. It seemed good in theory to me but as of yet haven't had the opportunity to try it.
There's not a whole lot you can do to lower the power band in the howet. The Low end torque in a howet is about as good as it gets in a gy6 due to the internal gear ratio. 13/42 gears for a ratio of 3.2 to 1.
There are few things you can do to help lower the power band. one is a torque exhaust pipe, a small diameter 3/4 to 7/8 inner diameter pipe about 30 " inches long will help low end but hurts above 7,500 rpm. you will loose power on the top.
Going to stiffer (red) springs in the clutch will raise the engagement rpms which will put you closer to the power band at take off. gives a real snappy take off but your axle, chain and sprockets will take a beating! Like reving a car to 5 grand then side stepping the clutch. Not the best choice for casual riding.
A 30 MM pumper carb will definatly give more punch at takeoff but you will have to swap the head and intake to 30 MM port sizes. you can use this carb on a stock 24 MM head but it may be a pain to get the carb tuned properly. The stock howet head ports can take the extra flow but the 24mm port openings will cause a loss of the full potential of a pumper carb.
I have always used synthetic oils except when breaking in a new set of rings. Honda makes a synthetic oil designed for air cooled 4 strokes that works very well but pricey.This oil handles the high heat of air cooled heads without breaking down. Any synthetic had at the local auto parts will work, but you can't go all season without an oil change. about 10/12 hours of ride time is all the oil can handle before heat starts to have an effect on the oil.. Most oils can't handle heat continualy above 275 f. without breaking down. Head temps in a gy6 can reach 350 f. easy.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks for the ideals. I dont know what I'm going to do yet, but please let me know when you try that DR2 I'm interested on how it works. I like the concept of how it works. Have you ever tried the slider rollers?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Heavy Contributor

Yea I've tried the sliders. I personaly wasn't impressed by them. It actualy seemed to slow my acceration up a touch. Some swear by them but IMO, I feel the improvement they recieved was due to them having standard rollors so screwed up anything would have be an improvement.