BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Lurker

Default testing stator

My son melted the battery cables on the exhaust. replaced cables and he hooked them up backwards. realized it immediately and switched them. fryed battery cells. replaced battery and now the headlights stay on all the time. Will start, but lights won't go off. unplugged stator connector and the lights stay off. checked resistance to stator and values are close but white wire is .6 ohm, should be .2 to .4. anyways, I need help testing stator and or rectifier. anyone?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 AM
Lurker

i'm sorta new here and really don't know my way around but i think i read you have a yerf.don't the lights stay on as long as it is runnning no switch to shut them off while running or do you mean they will stay on with engine off.
i have a yerf wiring diagram its wired alot like my buggy.they just tap the lights in at rectifier,lights and choke (fuel enrichment) share the same power diagram show yellow wire from stator.
after the mishap i'm wondering if it hasn't shorted out the rectifier and the lights are picking up the 12volt at rectifier running up to solenoid on battery side.thats if there staying on all the time now even not running
yellow, white wire from stator one is for charging other for lights and choke.
have you check battery voltage running idling it could be also over charging the battery or not charging.
that just my thoughts thats the only thing i can think of why they would be on all the time.other than that engine has to be running for stator to make the power for the lights and choke
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Lurker

Default thx

I was wondering the same thing. The lights are on at all times even when engine is not running. I am going to check charging today. The lights splice into the red wire pin 4 at the rectifier. I just wasn't sure if power comes from the stator on that wire or comes from the rectifier to the stator. ??
Old 12-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Lurker

yes it shows yellow from stator turns into red at rectifier
only power you should have not running is from the yellow/red wire at rectifier, that runs back to solenoid battery side for charging battery be 12 volt there at all times
yellow, white wires from stator should not have any thing until engine is running
once running it will run the lights and charge battery

with engine off you could check wires at rectifier and see if your picking 12 volt up on any of the wires besides the y/r hot all the time.

also have you check to make sure after the mishap that it hadn't melted any other wires that they might have gotten together now.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Lurker

That's what I thought. I need a new rectifier. It has batt. Voltage on thge white wire with engine off. Stator is working fine. Unhooked white wire only. Runs and all is well, just no charging. Thx for your help!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Lurker

no problem glad thats all it was.
what happen to you all is not the first time wires have got on exhaust or battery hooked up backwards.
i was messing around with mine once and blew out the headlights and tail light

things happen
Old 01-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Heavy Contributor

Pm GX150, he knows this wiring backwards. HE could pinpoint the problem.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Lurker

didn't mean to step on any ones toes HE gx150 has been a big help to me also
just notice that he yerf ,crossfire and dune was wired like my 006 sunl 150b with some slight differences when i had my harness opened all the way up from electrical box to key switch.
used studied, compared the diagrams when i had my harness opened up
just thought i could help may have been wrong