BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation Can your Spiderbox do this?

Can your Spiderbox turn this tight? and not rollover? Let's see your vid's- Here's mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh-i3J_qHu0
I'm finally satisfied with the wife's Spiderbox suspension/chassis modifications.She's finally agreed to let me add some power to go with the stability.Currently it's a STOCK GY6- no clutch mods either. (I did make an exhaust pipe for it after the stock one fell apart).
Old 07-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Heavy Contributor

Not me!!! I can spin donuts all day long to the left. but with my weight any kind of hard turn to the right gets it up on 2 wheels if I don't break the rear tires loose first.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Lite Contributor

how did you get it to turn that much mine takes about a football field
Old 07-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Do like I suggested on your post- Start reading the posts that say "Yerfdog" these forum members have great mod's for your Spiderbox.
This what I did-
First mod- remove rack-n-pinion. Carefully file or grind (if you're talented) 2 more grooves on each side of the rack, they have to be right for it to work smoothly-TAKE YOUR TIME.
Now that it'll turn the tires are going to rub!!! This is the time to plan for a wheel/hub change/upgrade. I added 2-1/2" to the spindle for clearance and upgraded to 3/4" axle with homemade hubs drilled for 4" on 4" bolt pattern. I have 21x7x10 tires on it now and could still go wider and taller with that extension.Sorry for the dark pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg extended spindle 1.jpg (26.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg extended spindle 2.jpg (25.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by metalstudman1; 07-07-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Lite Contributor

I did read that post about the groves and i am going to try to do this. My concern now after riding this past weeken is how wide I get my front. The trails are tight going through some of the trees. They look like they were made for and by 4 wheelers. I am going to order the 4 on 4 hubs with the 5/8 bearing today from BMI or should I go ahead and get the 3/4 in one? What kind of a spacer on you 3/4 axle did you use? Also I thinking of putting a 12" shocks on the front, I'm I on the right track for this upgrade?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

IMO You're on the right track-get the 3/4" ones. Most ATV trails limit a buggy to 60" or 5', the overall width of our Spiderbox is 58" with the wider rear axle, the front is only 51" wide.
Process I used for making longer front axles:
I cut off the original axle-re-drilled a 3/4" hole all the way through the rectangle tube. Cut the hex head off a 7"x 3/4" grade 8 bolt, flushed it on the inside and welded it on both sides of the tube, then got a piece of pipe (the sleeve) 3/4" I.D.x 5/16" pipe cut it 2-1/4" long slid it over the bolt and welded that to the rectangle tube & bolt. Dressed up the weld where the bearing would sit square against the sleeve and installed the hub.
If you were to make a hub it's pretty simple too-Got 4 , 3/4" bearings - small pipe in a big pipe,on the 2" long bigger pipe I drilled four 1/2" holes through the center ("X" pattern), slid 1"long small pipe into the center of it and welded it in place from the the "X" pattern holes. Cut a 5" circle from a piece of 3/8" plate drilled bolt pattern and the center hole to fit over bigger pipe,squared it up & welded it over the 4 holes previously welded -I welded bolts through the bolt pattern for lug studs- but you can tap or weld a nut on the plate if you prefer using bolts for your wheels.I think I spent about 5hrs. and $20. to make them.
Did any of that make sense?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Lite Contributor

It makes alot of sense, but I went ahead and ordered the hub. The hub I ordered from BMI is the one that right now has the 5/8 bearing but when ready i can replace the high speed bearing with the 3/4" bearing and it also hasa grease zert on it. Now it's time to find some tires and rims.