BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Lurker

Default I need bolt on durability/performance yerf spiderbox

Hi im new to this thread just bought a yerf dog spiderbox and i want to know if any-1 has any suggestions for shocks (and bigger tires) that bolt-on no need for modification i cant weld but im also not completely oblivious to basic mechanics also a exhaust and anything else to boost engine performance bolt on or slight modification any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! Thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Heavy Contributor

Many,Many mods for the spiderbox,

front wheels... you can go to bmi, or buggy depot (I went to bmi). They have 4x4" hubs with 5/8" bearings, one set is heavy duty and the other is not, the price reflex it. either one should do the trick.

http://www.*************/item/4x4-Whe...ngs-260055-761
http://www.*************/item/Heavy-D...ub-260056-3203

Next you can find a set of 20x7x8 ATV tires, and 4 lug x 4" trailer rims to match

great prices and shipping here for tires...
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...t-Max-ATV-Tire
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...adial-ATV-Tire

bolt on and your good to go.

As far as shocks, people say use Yamaha blaster (front) shocks on the back (all over ebay). and on the front buggy depot has a set that should bolt up, if not search ebay for a set that is about 12" and is not stiff (the front of the yerf is fairly light so you want something that you can adjust to your needs).

T.J.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.

Last edited by T3beatz; 03-14-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Heavy Contributor

All of this depends on your budget.

As far as engine mods go, you will want to get rid of the stock intake and get a uni or some type of foam air filter 39-42mm f (approximately 1.5") like this http://www.sycpowersports.com/index....id=66&incid=29

attach a 6" drain pipe or something similar to the carb with a rubber connector its a 1.5" connection (but it's in mm, measure yours). Then stick the Uni on the other end tighten and done.

then you will have to re-jet the carb probably a 125 (that's where a lot of people start, you may need more are less depending on your elevation/temp/humidity etc...) jet for a gy6... http://www.sycpowersports.com/index....id=66&incid=29

You can then, upgrade the stock CDI to a No Rev limiting one, you can find them all over the place, check the sycpowersports also.

Once you upgrade the CDI you can upgrade the coil, to one with more spark (orange medum, RED high).

Then there are CVT mods, inside the cover on the left side of the engine is your CVT (or continuously variable transmission). You can swap the rollers for some that are lighter for better acceleration and trail riding (stock is 14grams I think), or get some sliders for added performance (they cost a little more). Also is the clutch, you can swap the stock spring for a 1500 or 2000rpm contra spring (the big one). It will help to downshift the buggy quicker, it will also up-shift slower for better acceleration and hill climbing. The spring and the sliders/rollers have to be matched up for your type of riding and speed.

39T sprocket, you will loose speed but gain low end power.

those are some of the simple things you can do, after that there are big bore heads, upgraded valves, stroker cranks, and many other things. It just depends on what you want to spend and how much more power you need.

in my sig, you can see some of the mods that I have done to my spiderbox.

T.J.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Lurker

thanks really appreciate the advice i have a feeling im gunna need alot of it haha .. reading some other threads got me curious if i should A-put the money into the stock engine to make it perform better with basic modifications or B- do an engine swap with possibly a 200cc engine nothing much bigger i'd like to go 40-50 mph and have good power for climbing (considering im on a budget and not a professional mechanic) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

with a 150cc don't expect to go 50mph and have great low end power. you have to go one way or the other. I have tons of power but my max speed is around 31mph, you can get these engines to hit 45-50mph but you will be spending a ton of money and time on mods.

Last edited by T3beatz; 03-14-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:00 PM

Welcome to the site.

Check out my progress.

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2601

And here are my performance mods in post #11

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2670

If you wan to do 40 -50 MPH, it's going to cost alot to get there. But not only is the engine work going to be needed, the front ends on these karts are pretty weak. So you wil HAVE to modify it for the additional stresses you're looking to add upon it.

Front end reinforcement is a MUST.

New HD ball joints or heim joint mod will be required
Old 03-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Lurker

awesome thanks again for the advice unfortunately i went to look at the kart today and wasn't happy with the condition (frame was cracked and electrical looked rigged) so i decided not to take it i was debating going to look at a roketa 250cc single seater w/ reverse anyone have any opinions/suggestions? to be truthfully honest i'd rather tryn find a yerf dog spiderbox i just dont know how long thats gunna take... ANY HELP IN LOCATING A YERF DOG MODEL # 3206 aka spiderbox IN NORTH EASTERN PA AREA CONTACT ME ON HERE OR E-MAIL PERSISTENTIMAGEWORKS@AOL.COM
Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Heavy Contributor

how much was the guy asking for the spiderbox? There is one for sale in my area for $400.00 and it looks to be in pretty good condition. To bad you live so far away, I would love to get it but two spiderboxes is enough for me (I own one and my brother). You have to put some work into them to get them trail worthy, but once you do they can hand with the best of them, they are lighter than most buggies in there class.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Lurker

the yerf they wanted $350 no roll cage with engine problems and the roketa 250cc they want $900 and they say runs perfect
Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Heavy Contributor

yeah, $350.00 with no roll cage in this area is a little steep, out there maybe that's the right price. I got mine for $350, with a spare engine, tires, parts and the cage was in great condition. 900 for a 250cc Roketa is Awesome! if it runs good and looks good that's even better.

If you bought the yerf you would have to put about $400-500 into it just to get it up to par.

T.J.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Lurker

im VERY new to this go-kart / mini buggy scene... so im curious if a modified yerf dog spiderbox would be a better choice then the roketa 250cc? reliability? durability? quality?

LOOKING TO GO 40-50MPH WITH GOOD POWER TO CLIMB AND MAINLY BE A RELIABLE MACHINE
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Power User

sent you an e-mail with a rundown on what's around on CL, as it sounds like your in my neck of the woods. my e-mail addy is close to my user name, you may have to check your spam folder (they must think the X is a dirty old man or something ))))) ...) btw, 40-50 mph top speed and good low end torque torque is a pricey combination (probably looking for a very well worked over 250 or at least a mildly worked 350-400 cc).
Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Lurker

this is the roketa im thining about he said he runs great and everything works properly http://www.roketa.com/product/259/0/2576.shtml
Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Heavy Contributor

It looks very nice, it's a single seater so it will be a lighter 250. Just think about if you can get parts, if not you have to know how to fab up stuff and owning or having aces to a welder is a must for any buggy owner!

T.J.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:07 AM
Power User

Is it the yellow one on CL? If so, I was looking at it last night, looks pretty good, but tough to tell the details since you can't do anything with the pics on there. Most of the yerfs i e-mailed you about have disappeared--most likely the 30 days has run on the ad vs actually selling.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Heavy Contributor

Wow....250 is running steep where you are? 500 is a deal down here in Atlanta! I feel sad....
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 PM

Yerfs are pretty low on the factory quality level scale, hence why the prices are low, and the higher priced ones are still for sale. I see stock units asking $800-1500 on 'the list'. I picked mine up for a c-note with busted balljoints.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 10-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Heavy Contributor

LOL. And I'm looking at a 3206 or a 3209!
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:21 PM

hey xbird the way I deal with the little pics of things I want to see better is right click on the pic and then click on save. then I save it to desk top or you can save it wherever you want it, but the secret is to open it with windows picture and fax viewer. you can rotate it or enlarge it to where you want and even print if you want.