BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 09-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Fox carbide log

Well. Along with my spiderbox, I found a deal on a fox carbide. The seller bought it for his son but it has sat for a few years. After sitting that long it wouldn't start without starter fluid. I replaced the carb with a new Japanese carb from buggy depot. It fired right up and idled smooth. I took it for a few laps and it wouldn't get up to speed. It was bogging down quite a bit. I pulled the air filter and installed a Uni filter. It then ran perfect for about ten minuets and bogged down again. It will idle smooth but won't move when I give it gas. Any ideas?

Last edited by Jtsarby; 09-02-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Lite Contributor

It Boggs down in forward, reverse and neutral.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:40 AM

If it's idling good but doesn't go anywhere when u give it gas I bet the petcock could be clogged. Espically if it sat for years with gas in the tank. Also check fuel lines. I prefer clear fuel line so I know I'm getting adequate fuel flow. I would recommend changing the petcock also to a manual vs the vacuum style. Also I would check the spark plug to make sure it's not fouled up. What size main jet is in the carb?

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:51 AM
Lite Contributor

The main is a 124.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:52 AM

Try a 120 main

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Lite Contributor

Pretty sure the Petcock is faulty. Went to Lowe's and HD to find a ball valve. Unfortunately the threads on my tank to not match anything they had in the store. its 3/8 but the thread pitch is different.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:23 PM

A good hardware store will have it. That's where I got my stuff from. They should have the male to male connector that threads into the tank then into a ball valve or whatever petcock you choose.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:37 AM
Lite Contributor

If this engine is unmodified and sat for years and will only start on starter fluid The gas tank could have corrosion that caused a clogged up a fuel line and/or filter preventing the carburetor to fill with gas.

and/or the aftermarket air filter needs a bigger exhaust to go with it IF the proper size main jet is installed. I don't know what engine you use but a stock predator 212cc engine uses a #70 (.028"). the gx390's carb was barely bigger.

A bad carburetor gasket could also be the culprit causing a lean condition. Can't always tell if it's bad from being flattened out(used) and causing extra incoming air.

Or just do this: start the engine,rev it up high, and kill it while revved high. Now take out the spark plug and what color is it at the electrode? If it's on the darker side= it's on the rich side. Lighter side= its on the lean side.

I still think it's a fuel line/filter issue.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Lite Contributor

Yeah. When I removed the old carb and drained it, the gas was yellow. The jets were also corroded. I checked the compression today and it's 158. 155 on my spiderbox. I have looked everywhere and cannot find the connection fittings to do the diy gas shut off. When I bought the Uni filter, buggy depot recommended I stay with the 124 jet. I'll probably order some different sizes this week to experiment. Gas tank is clean and it has a new carb. It starts and idles smooth. Just Boggs down when I give it gas. I think the fuel lines and new fuel cut off will fix the problem. I'm just glad the compression is ok.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:32 PM
Supporting Vendor

Remove the fuel line from carb and turn fuel valve on. If fuel flows the valve is good. If slow than pull and check the screen filter on the valve. If you have the vacuum operated valve same thing, pull fuel line off carb fuel should not flow except for what is in the line. Turn over engine and fuel should pump out in relation to engine. Also remove your fuel cal and look for any distortion to the inside of cap, if it looks melted replace the cap. If cap looks good shake and listen for check ball to rattle. If no distortion and heat the rattle cap is good. If the cap does not vent the fuel will not flow from tank. Ethanol fuel will melt many of the older caps.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Lite Contributor

So far new carb. Changed the Petcock to ball valve today. Gas is flowing to the carb. Starts right up but Boggs down when I give it gas. I'll pull the carb and clean it this week. Maybe something got into it from the tank. On a positive note, I got my spiderbox running. Ace hardware had the ball valve.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:14 PM

Ace is the place lol.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Lite Contributor

Turned out to be the carb. It was brand new. Goes to show you that even a new carb can be clogged. The main jet had what looked to be a tiny piece of plastic in it. On a negative note, the ball valve leaks.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Lite Contributor

Everything is running great. I hit a tree tonight. Dented the frame a bit. No harm. It gets loose if you give it throttle in the corners. I goosed it and over corrected right into a small tree. One thing I need to correct is the alignment. It pulls to the left. It did that before I hit the tree. .
Old 09-13-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtsarby View Post
Everything is running great. I hit a tree tonight. Dented the frame a bit. No harm. It gets loose if you give it throttle in the corners. I goosed it and over corrected right into a small tree. One thing I need to correct is the alignment. It pulls to the left. It did that before I hit the tree. .
Alignment is pretty easy, I just used a measuring tape. With hitting a tree they don't move! As long as ur ok that's the key, always wear ur seat belt ! I started training myself, hop in buggy, start it, buckle up, then put the helmet on so it gives the buggy a minute or 2 to warm up and I'm ready to go.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Lite Contributor

I finally got it running like I want. I got it out on the road today to test top speed. I was driving and my son riding. Total weight is around 275. It topped out at 40. Felt like 140.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Lite Contributor

Took the muffler off to sand and paint it. One of the bolts broke off. Grrr.