Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 57
Carb frustrations - BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum
BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-23-2016, 06:09 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Carb frustrations

It seems like the carb on my carbide needs cleaning every other week. I am now way to familiar with how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the carb on my Kart. bow often is everyone cleaning their carb? I have an inline filter.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:59 PM

I haven't had to clean my carb yet.

What kind of fuel are you running? I only use premium.

With an in line filter in place, what are you finding inside the carb?

I found corrosion sticking the needle on my motorcycle while running Sunoco 93 octane. I stopped running it and switched to Shell premium. Haven't had an issue again.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 10-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Lite Contributor

I run 89 octane. I went out to start it tonight and it wouldn't start. Cranked for a few and then backfired. I jumped a mile high. Something is going on. This thing is a blast when running but this is getting frustrating.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:29 AM
Contributor

I always run 93 octane with sta-bil in all my small engines. Everytime I fill my gas cans,I immediately add sta-bil when I get home. I never really have had any fuel issues since I've been doing this for so long I can't remember when I started.
2015 Hammerhead GTS 250-SOLD
2008 Kazuma Coyote 150-SOLD

Last edited by EVILWS6; 10-24-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:48 PM
Heavy Contributor

+1 on the sta bill. Make sure your tank is clean and not getting water.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtsarby View Post
I run 89 octane. I went out to start it tonight and it wouldn't start. Cranked for a few and then backfired. I jumped a mile high. Something is going on. This thing is a blast when running but this is getting frustrating.
Have you checked your valve clearances at all?
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Lite Contributor

No I haven't. I bought the gauges to do it I haven't had the time. It's on my list.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:49 PM
Lite Contributor

Checked the valve clearances today. Intake was great but the exhaust was way too tight. I set them both at .005. It fired up but is running poorly. Almost like the carb is dirty. I just cleaned the carb so I know it is clean. Any ideas?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Supporting Vendor

yeah , ive said this more than once. these carbs are disposable. some last years some months, some are junk out of the box new. but there is something that goes bad in them that even a rebuild kit wont fix that makes them run like they have a vacuum leak. when that happens toss them and get another.

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 PM

I can't comment on what JD has recommended as I have an aftermarket Mikuni installed on mine. It may be true.

Curious though, if you keep cleaning your carb, what are you finding inside it?

Lastly, I run .003 on the intake valve and .005 on the exhaust for valve clearances.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:23 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
I can't comment on what JD has recommended as I have an aftermarket Mikuni installed on mine. It may be true.

Curious though, if you keep cleaning your carb, what are you finding inside it?

Lastly, I run .003 on the intake valve and .005 on the exhaust for valve clearances.

ive been running a mikuni for six years on mine for that reason and the benefits. i just know from working on everyone else's stuff that if basically if you've chased a miss that sounds like a vacuum deal and everything else is straight....toss it!

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 10-29-2016, 08:55 AM
Lite Contributor

I have two carbs. They are both Mikuni. It was running perfect and just died one day. The only thing I noticed was the exhaust was a little loose. The nut worked itself loose. I tightened it and it would not restart. I cleaned the carb and it would not start. I switched it the the other carb and it wouldn't start. I then pulled the valve cover and adjusted the valves. The intake was .005. The exhaust was really tight. I set them both to .005 and it started but runs rough like the main jet is clogged. When I clean them there is nothing noticeable in there to make them run bad. I am now an expert at breaking down and cleaning a carb. I'm getting good spark. I'll adjust the valves again and see what that will do.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:06 AM

Check all ur ground connections, and try a different cdi box. I remember ckau saying sometimes a bad cdi box can cause those systems. The stock wiring on these buggies isnt the greatest.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 AM
Lite Contributor

Readjusted the valves to .003 intake and .005 exhaust. It fires right up and idles fine but dies if I give it any gas. I'll check all the wires today. It has a brand new cdi from buggy depot. It is supposed to be the upgraded cdi but it is a black one. I was under the assumption the the upgraded ones were orange. It's acting like the main jet is clogged. My boys are driving me crazy to get this running again. At least I like working on stuff like this. I like riding it more though. Thanks for all the help. I love this forum!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Lite Contributor

One question. Could I have damaged anything by running it with the exhaust loose? I'm not sure how long it was that way.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:28 PM

Most likely no damage occurred. You should be fine.

What mikuni carbs are you using?

What other "modifications" have you done to said buggy?

And just as Murphy's law moment, my needle was stuck in my bike carb again when i went to ride it today.... I replaced it early in the season. F'ing ethanol fuel!!!!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:53 PM
Lite Contributor

The only mod I have done is to put a Uni filter on the cart. I changed the plug today and it fired right up and ran perfect for few minutes. Then Started bogging down again. It acts just like a clogged main jet. The old plug was pretty black.

Here it is

Here is the new plug after running it for a few minutes.

Here is a pic of the carb

Last edited by Jtsarby; 10-29-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Power User

could be junk in the tank floating in the fuel and sucking onto the tank filter and stopping flow. also, check the gas cap vent. it could also be plugged and causing the tank to vacuum seal and stop the flow of gas. definitely sounds like an issue of fuel flow cut-off once a certain amount has moved thru the lines.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:17 PM
Heavy Contributor

When you say you added a uni filter, did you keep the stock airbox? I only ask because if you eliminate the airbox there is a good chance you will need to re jet.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:47 AM

Check what X bird suggested about the vent hole.

Liduno is spot on about the re-jetting of the main. How about a pic of the UNI you installed on the machine?

Lastly, that is NOT a Mikuni carb in that pic. It's a chinese clone of the Constant Velocity. (most likely a cheap replacement carb off Ebay)

Might want to try replacing the carb like JD suggested earlier if the vent checks out fine, and the main rejet doesn't solve the issue
Old 10-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Lite Contributor

I'll get a pic of the uni. He has cap is brand new and is venting properly. I just got the carb from Buggy Depot. It was the more expensive "Japanese" carb. If it's a ch at knock off clone buggy Depot is passing them off a genuine.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:10 AM
Lite Contributor

I went out to start it after church. It fired right up and purrs like a kitten while idling. I can rev the engine and it returns to idle. If I try and give it gas again it dies. Has to be fuel flow. It ran perfect for weeks with the same setup.

here is a pic of the filter.

Last edited by Jtsarby; 10-30-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:33 PM
Heavy Contributor

Normally when you get rid of the airbox you would need to jet it, but if it ran good like that before then you're probably right about a fuel delivery issue.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 PM

Looking at BD's website, I only saw 2 carb choices in the fuel category.

1. was the 30mm CV style carb for 175cc engine and larger. Said nothing about it's place of origin.

2. was the Mikuni 26 VM round slide carb.

There seems to be some sort of confusion on the carb in your pic. "Designed in Japan" normally means made in China.

Liduno is right about that UNI filter. With it being out in the open like that, it normally runs a bit lean and requires rejetting.

3 questions.

1. Have the air temperatures dropped in your area lately? You may have been running a little lean before when air was warmer, but now that's it's getting colder, the engine may require more fuel.

2. Are you sure you're not getting an air leak somewhere? Intake manifold leak, vacuum hoses in good shape and properly connected?

3. In all of your carb cleanings, have you ever messed with the float height? Have you ever checked your float height since the problems started?

Please post a good clear picture of your carb and vacuum hoses hooked up for us to see. Thanks
Old 11-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Lite Contributor

As for the carb. It is item #400. They have two versions. One is the "china" version and the other is the "Japanese" version. The #400 is the Japanese version.
Here is a screen cap of the one I got.

1. Air temps have not changed.
2. I checked for leaks and cannot find any. I sprayed around the intake manifold and nothing changes.
3. Float height is good.
Here are pics of the carb

Old 11-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Lite Contributor

Sorry about the image size. Trying to reduce that.
Here is a video.
https://youtu.be/pb2Yzr7TkcQ
I can give it throttle in rev it is long as I don't let t return to idl. if it returns to an idle and I touch the gas it dies just like in the video

Last edited by Jtsarby; 11-01-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Heavy Contributor

If that Uni filter is mounted directly to the inlet on the carb, there's your problem. Too much air turbulence entering the carb causing erratic slide bouncing. You need a "velocity pipe". A 7 inch length of pipe between the carb and Uni to smooth out the air flow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 283.jpg (91.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Lite Contributor

Any recommendations on what to use for the pipe?
Old 11-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Contributor

Cool

Kitchen sink drain pipe plumbing . On my Yerf Dogs I used a section of chrome plated extension pipe , can't remember diameter but it slid snugly into the UNI . And a Fernco TC150 rubber/neoprene plumbing coupler to mate pipe to carb. Three hose clamps , done .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 11-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Lite Contributor

I put a longer intake tube "velocity pipe" and it didn't change anything. I adjusted the air fuel screw per manual and it still dies. I the. Removed my CDI and put the old one on and it would not start at all. I put the new one back on and Viola! She runs. I have no idea what's going on and I'm not holding my breath but she is running again. Sounds like it may be electrical.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

L o l
Old 11-03-2016, 11:52 PM

So you're good now?

When my coil failed, it would cut out at high RPM and felt like a fuel starvation issue.

Interesting that the DENI carb didn't show up for me when I clicked on the fuel section of that site. I do like that OEM brand for CV style carb
Old 11-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Lite Contributor

Well back to running poorly.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:36 PM
Lite Contributor

I know you said you bought a new gas cap, but try this: remove the gas cap and try running the engine to see if if dies. Post your results.

Also if you look inside the tank you will see a screen tube sticking up. It has a fine mesh screen that could clog up easily. If memory serves me I think that screen comes out by unscrewing the fuel shutoff valve under the tank.

Sometimes these stupid simple little things make problems on these buggies.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:39 PM
Lite Contributor

Something else I thought was, did you notice the problem after replacing the fuel filter or has it run fine using that same filter before? Maybe try flipping the filter around.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Lite Contributor

When you removed the factory air box what did you do with the vent line hose that used to connect to the air box? Maybe you got a venting issue now.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Why did you get rid of the factory carb? American sportworks carbs are unique. Don't know why...I am guessing because of whoever their manufacturer is. They start with a 114 which is typically lean to begin with. Adding a uni (with the tube), an FMF slip on, and an A11 cam with a performance CDI required a whopping 150 main jet. Yep you read that right...a 150. BUT... this is nly with an American Sportworks factory carb. If you try to jet that much on just about any other catb I've used it would choke out.

So:

1.) Where's your factory carb at and why arent you still using it?
2.) What mods do you have?
3.) what jets came in the new carb and whats in it now?
4.) Remember that some of these buggies are pig headed untill they get off thenchoke. What happens if you let it idle and warm up for a solid 5 mins+? Can you work your way into the gas by feathering the gas?
5.) When it dies, if immediately afterwards you give it a shot of carb cleaner does it fire? (I.e. It was starving and you fed it)
6.) American Sportworks uses DC based CDI boxes where most others use AC. Is your new CDI box a DC CDI? Probably wouldn't run with AC based but figured I would ask.
7.) When it dies, immediately afterwards check for spark.
8.) Got a timing light? If so put it on it and hit thentrigger and see if you are losing spark just prior to it dying.

Report back your findings.