BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 07-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Lurker

Default baja 150cc dim lights

I just purchased a used 2009 baja 150cc dune buggy it works excellent however the front lights are very dim. So i wired up a 3 way switch to run from the original source or to run from the battery directly. I also replaced the stock (bad) battery with a lawn tractor battery. SO heres the problem. The lights running off the battery have now gone dim and my battery doesnt seem to be charging. Can anyone assist in this issue. I am handy with most things however i am unfamiliar in this stuff. From research i either have a bad rectifier or a stator or the charging system cant keep up with the lights draw from the battery. are there any upgrades i can do that wont blow any of the other electrical item on the buggy? How can i check that the system is funtioning properly?. Does anyone own one of these. I know it isnt the top of the line but i have 4 kids that just love it and we dont need anything bigger at this time. I have property to ride it on i just dont want the lights to go dim when riding in the night. Thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Contributor

I had a voltage regulator go bad on our 2005 dune 150. I got 2 for like 4.99 a piece at baja atvsonline. Or any Chinese atv parts supplier. The regulator is a silver 4 pin module that is in front of the electrical box. I had let the battery go dead and while running it after jump starting it I noticed the lights were dim and with a volt meter at the battery while running I had 11. 5 volts. When I removed the 4 pin conector it was a little melted but not to bad. I learned after replacing the regulator to keep the battery charged and replace it when it is weak. I think with the weak battery it over heated the regulator trying to charge the battery and provide voltage to the other componets. If you have anyone with the same buggie try swapping parts. I was able to fix our buggie because we have 2 dune 150s and was able to swap parts out until the problem was solved. I hope this helps, if you have any more questions would be glad to help. Be sure to wear helmts and always put the seat belt on tight as you can . I once flipped my buggie over on its side going up a sand hill and the seat belt kept me from falling out thank GOD.
Be safe and have fun.