BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Keg Gas tank.....

So I have been looking into parts for the new buggy we will be building. And I was looking for some gas tanks similar to that on our other sand rail, aluminum cylinder probably holds about 6-8 gallons. Well they are cheap, some start at $150-200. and there are the plastic version for about $80.

I have seen some Sandrails and Ratrods with a keg for the gas tank. Well my father in law has a keg laying around from his son having a party several years ago.

Its kinda hard to find defined instructions on converting one. Does/has anyone on the forum made one? Or what links/sites I should look into. This set up will basically be ridden on my father in laws property. So I am not worried out legal or not, just making sure I know how to make it sealed correctly. Just buying some parts for it will still be cheaper.

ThX

GDA

At this point I just want to research it to see if its a direction I want or can go with.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know where to search for a website that explains how to make one. I made many a KEG fuel tank for my dune buggies(4 of them) back in the 70's. You'll need a tig/heliarc welder or know some one that has one. I used a 3" long piece of 2" threaded aluminum pipe with a cap for the fill section. The aluminum fuel line tube (usually 1/4") was pretty easy to come by then- you can use just plain aluminum tube & bend it as needed. I welded the fuel tube in the bottom with 1/2" sticking up into the keg to keep the trash from clogging the line. I welded another 1/4" line in the side of the top of the keg for a vent- I let that line stick into the keg about 3"-4". The pump tap may need a cap welded over it depending what kind of shape it's in. Use aluminum straps to hold it to avoid an electrolysis reaction (premature oxidation). If your keg is stainless steel then it's much easier as many fuel tanks in cars are-(junkyard) you can re-use the fuel neck,cap & line sets.