BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Contributor

Default How to I get crankcase apart ?

The spiderbox engine it came with was apart, wires hanging loose, not in good shape. I replaced it with another one, and this is my "test" engine, on a workbench. I finally got it back together, got it running, and learned a lot ! But, as my luck runs, next time I went out, it would not start. Traced it out, started getting voltage, so was going to take the starter off to test. For some reason it twisted, and broke the crankcase at the starter. (pic 1) and of course the starter worked fine on the floor.
First question is - any way JBweld would fix this, or waste of time ?
Second question - I decided to take the stator off, and reuse the right side of the crankcase since my oil drain plug is stripped on the other (running) engine.
Sense these seem so brittle, how do I get the right crankcase side off without cracking it ? (pic 2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0133.jpg (31.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0132.jpg (37.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Power User

I go with waste of time to repair. case halves are pretty cheap, don't know if there are any differences to worry about beyond long/short.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

That was serious torque on that starter!!!! I doubt JB weld would hold that- agree, waste of time. Can't help with the case splitting issue, never done it.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Contributor

Thanks, I was thinking for the price (~50$) new was better anyway. Does kind of blow my theory of buying some GY6's cheap for spare parts though.
From what I've seen on the web, there are a lot of GY6 Right Crankcase Covers, but none so far are an exact match, ridge for ridge, bolt hole for bolt hole, etc. when I look at my picture and the one on the web
Anyone know of an exact match?
Sycarms (Tom) - can you get these to sell me ?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Contributor

Oh, and I also learned to make sure your flywheel puller is firmly in the flywheel, those are some tiny threads on the puller.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:42 PM

Hoenstly can't help you, but what I can suggest is looking on Ebay right now. BMI has been clearing out ALOT of used spiderbox engines for cheap!!!!

Scored one for $10 and $20 to ship.

Non-running condition for mine, but comes with good cases, stator, flywheel, clutch, final drive gears, etc.. for $30 to my door.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Contributor

AWESOME ! I don't see them in the clearance, can you post a link ? Wait, you said ebay, I'll go look there...

Last edited by satoys; 02-18-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-CRANKCASE-...item519d92d442

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CRANKCASE-...item27c3765146

Maybe ask him to keep the swingarm and send you just the motor?

He had a bunch of engines last week....
Old 02-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Power User

don't forget that if you want reverse with those (yerf/BMI), you have to get a new output shaft and reverse gearbox.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
don't forget that if you want reverse with those (yerf/BMI), you have to get a new output shaft and reverse gearbox.
Has anyone done that without using the BD reverse kit?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CRANKCASE-...item27c3765146

Maybe ask him to keep the swingarm and send you just the motor?

He had a bunch of engines last week....
Thanks ! see them now.... the swingarm may kill the deal, I got one of their $300 complete ones, worked perfect, but 220$ to ship. Good idea to ditch the swing arm.

Quote:

wish I had reverse, I'm just too cheap.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoys View Post
Thanks ! see them now.... the swingarm may kill the deal, I got one of their $300 complete ones, worked perfect, but 220$ to ship. Good idea to ditch the swing arm.

Quote:

wish I had reverse, I'm just too cheap.
He had a pallet of 5 complete/semi-complete engines with swingarms as one auction listed last week. I think they went for a touch over $300 for all of them.....
Old 02-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
He had a pallet of 5 complete/semi-complete engines with swingarms as one auction listed last week. I think they went for a touch over $300 for all of them.....
ouch, story of my life, I missed it by a day....
Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Power User

he had about 4-6 auctions engine/swingarm going , 1x, 2x, 4x and 5x plus some engine only and swingarm only. no reserve starting at .99 with shipping being the killer. I think the yerf howhit market is pretty dead because of lack of reverse and they decided to just clean out what was left. space = $s.

Still a few more available.
BIN $29.95

Last edited by x-bird; 02-18-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Contributor

Back to the crankcase, figured I had nothing to loose, so tried to pry off the right crankcase cover again with screwdriver, pry bar, box cutter, no luck. Finally tapped it a few times with a rubber mallet from the back, came right off, no damage !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0137.jpg (26.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0138.jpg (27.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Power User

prying case = $s to spend Usually there's a square lug protruding on one half with no real purpose other than to be beaten on--so says my wife If you 're working with these as much as it seems, you may want to pick up a medium and heavy deadblow hammer, they come in handy for a lot of things that you don't want to bust up but need some irrational force applied.

Last edited by x-bird; 02-21-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Heavy Contributor

I made a thread with some links on parts you will need to put an external reverse gearbox on one of the Gy6 engines that don't have them on it. All this is around $160.00 shipped, saving you over $150.00 on the ones you buy with everything conveniently packaged.

link...
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2711
Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Contributor

I was hoping removing it was something simple.... I've never been inside an engine this deep before, learning as I go. Since I stripped the oil drain bolt head on my running GY6, I was wanting to move this one (my "test" GY6) over there. Looks possible, now I wish i had gotten one of those cheap BMI GY6's for parts.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoys View Post
I was hoping removing it was something simple.... I've never been inside an engine this deep before, learning as I go. Since I stripped the oil drain bolt head on my running GY6, I was wanting to move this one (my "test" GY6) over there. Looks possible, now I wish i had gotten one of those cheap BMI GY6's for parts.
It's not as hard as most people might think, it can quickly eat up some time in the day, but as long as you have a decent memory and put everything back where you got it from it should go back together just fine.

Now you have to find a new crankcase half so that you can put that engine back together and have a spare.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.