BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Lurker

Default Manco Big Cat Governor

Looking for some help on how to remove the governor on a Manco Big Cat 6hp standard engine.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

What brand motor?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Lurker

it is a Tecumseh.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Contributor

msman1 is this a good idea for a 6hp engine?He could over rev and blow engine-top speed should less 32mph or less.Just my opinion. mancoman
Old 07-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't removed the govenor on a TEC engine so I have zero experience!!! Mancoman- mph isn't the issue, rpm's is what I think you meant. Any time a govenor is removed - close attention to long high rpm runs is recommended. TEC motors aren't built from the factory to tolerate more than 3,900 rpm's, most govenor's are set at 3,300-3,600 rpm's for long,safe engine life. I know on the Honda clones they hold up pretty good with the gov. removal- But the added rpm's didn't mean more hp in my opinion. The govenor removal does provide for higher rpm's which can make the difference when climbing hills or keeping torque to the tires. I've stated this before- my 6.5 clones (gov. removed) barely out ran my 6.5 TEC's- wasn't worth my time to experiment on the TEC's since they were so strong untouched.Sorry so long winded.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Contributor

Tecumseh's usually won't last very long without a governor. They are notorious for having small rod journals, and the splash lubrication is highly inadequate at anything much above 3900rpm.
In Younger years, working at a Small Engine Shop, and racing in the WKA, I had ample opportunity to see the insides of many a different Briggs, Tec, & Kohler. We, at the shop, always payed particular attention to setting ALL Tec governors up with a tach, to 3600rpm, just because we didn't want any undue warranty repairs. Briggs & kolher, we set by ear, they were tough, and unless it was a generator, and we wanted a precise 60hz/3600rpm, we were confident they'd stay together.
But when we orderred our Christmas inventory of yard karts, we always spec'ed out Briggs. Simply because we knew people would be tweeking governor linkages, etc, and blowing the TEC's up, then expecting warranty.
That was back in the 70-80's, but I doubt much has changed, up until Tec went under, as far as engine internals went. So my advice would be leave the Tec stock, and if you want more rpm, put an HF Clone 6.5 on there, and take the governor off it.

I think MM reference to speed is his direct correlation to rpm, with all else remaining equal on the kart. To which he would be correct. I just wouldn't have known at which speed the kart would have been attaining max rpm. He's owned enough of those mancos to pretty much know what the governed speed would be....LOL

Last edited by kliff; 07-12-2012 at 08:36 AM.