BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Contributor

Default Yerf Dog Exhaust Upgrade

The end of last year John (Olderthan) was kind enough to give me a silencer to try on my daughters Yerf. Well I got it, took one look at it & thought that will be an easy exhaust project and then set it under the bench and just forgot about it. Fast forward 8 months and her Yerf's exhaust developed an exhaust leek right at the cylinder so I had a little spare time today and pulled her exhaust off. Well since it was off I decided it was time to do the silencer mod.

Here is what I came up with..

The whole thing took about 30 minutes and now her yerf has a nice deep tone to it. I have yet to check it with a gps to see if it picked up and speed but it does seem to sound a little more responsive.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Lite Contributor

did someone build it or buy it prefab?It looks like it would beath easier
Old 08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomack524 View Post
did someone build it or buy it prefab?It looks like it would beath easier
Olderthan would probably know, but I am guessing the silencer is from a 125 cc 2 stroke dirt bike (CR125, KX125, YZ125) and the pipe is just the stock exhaust from the Yerf. I made it myself this morning by just cutting the Yerf stock exhaust and trimming the silencer pipe to fit. Once I had everything fitting the way I liked it, I just welded the silencer to the pipe & then made the brace out of a couple of flat washers and a piece of the stock mufflers bracing.

I have only ridden it a little bit, but It does seem to run better since the mod. It is louder than it was but not excessive. I did repack the silencer while I had it apart and so far am very happy with the mod.

Last edited by Rarerat; 08-04-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Lite Contributor

U should start making them and selling them
Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Looks sweet!Nice job!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Contributor

Thanks Metal,

I havent been on the board much lately but we have had the buggy out in the deep sand a couple of times since I built the exhaust. It defiantly runs better, no doubt about it. I dont have any idea what an aftermarket exhaust would cost, but I would guess you could buy these type of used silencers on egay all day long for just a couple bucks. It is one of those "no skill involved" type of mods anyone on the board could do for a little extra power out of their Yerf..
Old 09-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

That stock yerf muffler is really restrictive and power robbing. I sure you could feel a little more in the mid to top end range. If you haven't already, You might wanna take a look at your plug, you might be running lean now. With a free flow pipe and a uni, the jetting normaly goes up from a 114 to a 128. That much jump in jetting gives you some idea of how restrictive the stock system is.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Lurker

could I just drill out the stock muffler?? If so where would I order the larger jet? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Lurker

found the jets
Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Lite Contributor

Rarerat, that is a very clean looking exhaust setup compared to the stock. I saw your most recent posts on youtube. Are those after the exhaust swap? Also, what mods have you done to your Yerf?

Joe
Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01 View Post
Rarerat, that is a very clean looking exhaust setup compared to the stock. I saw your most recent posts on youtube. Are those after the exhaust swap? Also, what mods have you done to your Yerf?

Joe
Thanks you. Yes the most recent video with my 6 year old driving is with the new exhaust.