BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Lurker

Wink help with Kenbar Streaker SC7 w/ 5hp Briggs

I just bought an old go kart for my daughters. It seemed to pull pretty good the day I bought it. After a few days, it wouldn't hardly take off, and had very little speed. The belt was worn, so I bought a new one. I read on a site that the torque converter (Comet TAV 30) should be cleaned, so I disassembled it, cleaned it (de-rusted) , lubed it and reassembled it, all according to the instructions on the site (*****************). I put the new belt on, and while it is a little better, it still goes about as fast as I can run on foot and is sluggish on take off, like it is slipping. The new belt is showing some signs of starting to fray on the edges. The belt also appears to be out of alignment, which an extra washer behind the driven should cure. Anyway, I put a block under the back, started it up and mashed the gas...the driven doesn't expand. I don't think I'm getting enough RPM's, but I'm not sure why. The brakes aren't dragging and the TC operates smoothly by hand. This is the first kart that I've owned, and my girls are a little disappointed. How fast should this thing go? Should it be able to break the back tires (ATV knobbies) loose in gravel? How can I tell if my motor is turning enough RPM? What should I look for as the culprit? Sorry for the long post...I'm just a little frustrated for my girls' sakes. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

the driven unit is pretty simple-Check and verify that the big tension spring isn't broken,next verify that the outer hub is touching the rubber contacts(verify that rubbers are there).The pulleys ride on a bushing-can you move the pulley away from the sprocket outward to make the pulleys farther apart from each other by hand?It takes a small rotation to expand the pulley width.Take a pic if possible and let us see the clutch,driven and alignment.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I would check the throttle connection for full open on carb.(cables stretch and get loose and need to be monitored)That would be the easy fix!!!! Engine RPM's- when you have the rear elevated and run the engine does the governer work at max, RPM's?Wide open-no load should make the governer interupt engine speed momentarily and continuously while full throttle.Does this occur?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Lurker

All of the components of the driver and driven are in place and in good shape. The driven can be actuated by hand, but you've got me thinking on the cable now, because the driven doesn't actuate when up on jack stands...even at full throttle. It really think it's an RPM problem. I guess the first thing to check is the cable. I hope that's it, because I don't know much about governors. I think I can take care of the slight alignment issue with a washer, but when I get home from work tonight, I'll post some pics anyway. Thanks...and any further help is appreciated.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
the driven unit is pretty simple-Check and verify that the big tension spring isn't broken,next verify that the outer hub is touching the rubber contacts(verify that rubbers are there).The pulleys ride on a bushing-can you move the pulley away from the sprocket outward to make the pulleys farther apart from each other by hand?It takes a small rotation to expand the pulley width.Take a pic if possible and let us see the clutch,driven and alignment.
I put the pictures in an album titled Kenbar Streaker SC7. I didn't know how else to post them. See what you think. I spaced the driven out .040". I think it still needs to come out a little more. Maybe I'll get it lined up tomorrow after work.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Just for info.- to post pic's on your thread: "go advanced",scroll down- "manage attachments","upload".
I saw your pics and everything looks good and aligned. The driven unit pulley (sprocket side) should be lined up with the flat clutch pulley on the engine, it looks good from the pic's - Have you tried to see if the throttle is working fully? also check and see if the springs to the governor are in place?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

I should have mentioned you have 2 places to check for the throttle cable. One at the engine and the other at the end of the rod from the pedal with the return spring.
Take off the air cleaner and check to see if the buterfly opens all the way up when fully depressing the gas pedal, also check the arm on the top of the carb to verify that it's hitting the full open stop.
By the way- NICE looking kart!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Lurker

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them a try when I get home tonight. Thanks for the compliment too!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
I should have mentioned you have 2 places to check for the throttle cable. One at the engine and the other at the end of the rod from the pedal with the return spring.
Take off the air cleaner and check to see if the buterfly opens all the way up when fully depressing the gas pedal, also check the arm on the top of the carb to verify that it's hitting the full open stop.
By the way- NICE looking kart!
Man...that is the weirdest and most complicated carb/throttle linkage I've ever seen on a 5HP Briggs. I'll have to post a picture or two tomorrow to see what y'all think of this contraption.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Is your belt on correctly for the orientation? Should have an arrow on it that points to the engine side of the belt.

Also, how's your belt tension? When you pinch the belt in the center to where it loses contact on the driver, you should have roughly 3/16 inch of clearance between the belt and the driver.

With those big tires, I am curious as to how well the TAV functions. Takes a lot of umph to turn tires that big.