BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Lurker

Default ASW Helix 150cc Restoration

Hey guys and gals I have a project I'm about to start and wanted some imput from all the buggy people out there. So a little about the project I got this ASW Helix 150cc buggy on a trade plus 850 cash for a shed I had that I was selling so I thought it would make a cool project for me and my daughter to work on together but this thing has a lot of issues front tie rods welded together with angle to some rust problems and seat is rusted and tore apart but it only cost me 150 trade value so I'm not to mad I knew it had issues but didn't know it was impossible to find tie rods and other parts without needing to use the CIA to track them down but I'm going to tear this buggy down to the frame and restore it. So what do yall think I wanna powder coat the frame do a big bore kit maybe a 180cc stroker bigger crank and cam 12 pole stator better clutch belts the whole 9 yards. let me know where you think I should go with this build I will put some pics that I have taken on here and do videos on my youtube page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170820_184142.jpg (100.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20170928_072638.jpg (99.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20170930_115755.jpg (92.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170930_132735.jpg (100.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20171001_133722.jpg (100.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-05-2017, 04:39 PM
Heavy Contributor

Nice little project. Don't know much about that model.
Have son and daughter. Both help out, most times. 13 year old Son knows how to tear down a front end of a yerf dog in heart beat. But still gets lefty lossy, righty tighty mix up.
Daughter 10. She loves to help paint. If you powder coating, sweet. But find some projects she can paint.

You doing this project all at once? Or strip frame, put back together, and do modes to engine here and There?
Nice fix on tie rod. ..... .... not hard to fab your own, and be a very good upgrade. Guys up here can help you out for sure on that.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Lurker

Lol the tie rods were like that when I got it lol they will be replaced and no I'm going to strip it down and figure out if I can fit 2 bucket seats there instead of the bench seat that goes on it and if I can I'm going to weld some mounting points for some 5 point harnesses and one I get done modifing a few other things then I will powder coat the frame once that's done I will mod the engine before reassembly of the whole thing it will take a little while but I have over the winter to work on it so it will be ready for spring. And I'm going to teach my 9 year old how to powder coat so that will be her painting maybe let her pick some graphics for it. There's still a lot of unknowns on where were going yet but we have a baseline so it will be nice to work on it with her.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Contributor

Good luck on fitting the buckets. My buggy came with the 2 3/4 width (17 inches wide) buckets and I'm in process of trying to find an easy way to widen the frame enough to add 2 full size (20 inches wide) blow molded plastic bucket seats. I was gonna recover the factory seats but once I got them tore down the steel seat frame was rust held together with rust.