Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 57
Just what we need..... another new guy..... - BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum
BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Just what we need..... another new guy.....

Hey folks, just checking in from Western PA. My name is Rich, and hopefully in a couple days I'll be getting a 150 Yerf Dog that my son and I can scoot around in. He's only 4, but absolutely LOVES riding in side by sides and go karts..... imagine that! Haha.

Little bit about me: I work as a machinist (not the useful kind though), have been rebuilding and riding older metric motorcycles for probably about 10 years now, have a mig welder, and I'm not terribly afraid of 12v systems. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with CVT scooter (buggy) engines, so that might give me the hiccups every now and then. I'll apologize in advance - sorry!

Off to explore the site and gather info..... wish me luck!
Old 06-26-2016, 01:34 AM
Contributor

Welcome.
2015 Hammerhead GTS 250-SOLD
2008 Kazuma Coyote 150-SOLD
Old 06-26-2016, 09:38 PM

welcome to the addiction, just research that yerf dog they need a lot of work to make for safe riding.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:12 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks fellas.

I start looking around the site for specific bits of info, then tend to get distracted checking everything out. Jman, is there a list of "necessary" upgrades for the Yerf? Working on motorcycles has taught me that all rubber parts should be suspected, along with a PO's modifications..... but not sure about what all I should be looking for on a buggy.

I should mention: for the most part this buggy would just be for cruising around the yard at first. After I become more familiar with it, there are some easy quad trails it might go on (but only with my BIL while he is riding his side by side).

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:46 AM

If you search my name for my yerf dog threads you will learn a lot of it, ive owned 2 yerf dogs and they really are bottom in quality vs other name brands. In stock form that's all they are really made for is riding on the grass, they weren't made for off roading or trail riding. Look up xlint name also he has done a lot of modding on his yerf as well. Ckau has a yerf but its really not a yerf anymore lol. Check t3beatz I think was his name also. Tkeagle posts basically every week also with his yerf. Your going to have to beef up the frame, front, and rear to make it trail worthy. Also the stock tires where just designed for grass. Right out of the box you can spend $700 on a yerf just to get it trail ready. The steering ratio I couldn't stand, the shocks all the way around really aren't shocks. I can go on and on about what mods need to be made because ive owned 2 yerf spider box buggy's but other people can chime in also.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks man!

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but it sounds good to me so far..... putting around the yard is the immediate goal anyways. And heaven knows I'm not against modding something, and winter is always right around the corner.

Going to look at the Yerf tonight so we will see what happens.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:42 PM
Contributor

Cool

Jman summed it up , true , but hold on . How bout a little respect for the poor old Yerf . Upgrades and mod.'s are endless , balljoints and front end hardware replacement is a must -do though , even with only that you can get a lot of use/fun out of a Yerf . And it gets you into the game . I sold my two a couple of years ago , and missed them so much I bought another one last year . The OLDGIRL ( wife) rides the heck out of it , we do 20 mile dirt trail / stone road rides . I have Big'r , bad'r machines but my stock Spiderbox serves it's purposes very well . Use it , upgrade it if you desire , or move up and save the Yerf for others in your crew to ride / get initiated . Like I said Jman is RIGHT ! ...... But I have to do what I have to do ...... And come to the defense of the GOOD OLD SPIDERBOX , LONG LIVE THE YERF DOG !!!
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY

Last edited by OLDKID; 06-27-2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: detail
Old 06-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Lite Contributor

Cheers Oldkid!

Picked up the Dog yesterday:

Definitely will be getting some work done asap - proper battery, Uni filter & extension, clean up the wiring for lights, etc, etc. The seller was pretty cool about any problems with the buggy. Said the engine and running gear is bone stock (minus that intake of course).
Old 06-28-2016, 07:02 PM
Lite Contributor

Welcome. Enjoy the new toy!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Supporting Vendor

Welcome to the addiction.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:16 PM

Please do ur self a huge favor and weld some bracing on the rear engine mount. Also a extra bracing across the swing arm will also help, they usually Crack. If u have metal laying around then it's a free mod.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDKID View Post
Jman summed it up , true , but hold on . How bout a little respect for the poor old Yerf . Upgrades and mod.'s are endless , balljoints and front end hardware replacement is a must -do though , even with only that you can get a lot of use/fun out of a Yerf . And it gets you into the game . I sold my two a couple of years ago , and missed them so much I bought another one last year . The OLDGIRL ( wife) rides the heck out of it , we do 20 mile dirt trail / stone road rides . I have Big'r , bad'r machines but my stock Spiderbox serves it's purposes very well . Use it , upgrade it if you desire , or move up and save the Yerf for others in your crew to ride / get initiated . Like I said Jman is RIGHT ! ...... But I have to do what I have to do ...... And come to the defense of the GOOD OLD SPIDERBOX , LONG LIVE THE YERF DOG !!!
Lol, the spider box was my first buggy back when I was 17 yrs old, then bought another one a couple of yrs ago because it brought back memories. Let me tell u once u put it next to a hammerhead, and other good brand names it's game over, night and day in quality. I will give credit there's tons of parts and stuff you can do to them, but that goes for the other buggies also. Good luck with the spider box and start a thread on it in the general discussion so other guys can chime in also.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Lite Contributor

Good stuff Jman, I'll add that to my winter "to do" list. Also gives me some time to find where others have added bracing..... thanks!
Old 07-04-2016, 02:13 PM

welcome