BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 10-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Lurker

Default Hammerhead twister issues

Hi
Sorry if this is in the wrong area. I'm new here and have an issue.
Just bought this thing. It's like new and was sitting for a few years. I changed the gass and put fresh oil in it while charging the battery. It started right up and idles fine.
The problem is that I start to give it gas and it acts like it starts to go but dies as I give more gas. I put it in reverse and the same thing. It starts to go but then bogs out like a brake is on or something. The wheels spin freely when up on blocks.
All the help I can get is greatly appreciated!!!

Larry
Old 10-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Lurker

Another note. Just wanted to add that I did pull it home from my neighbors house about an 1/8 mile away.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:38 AM
Contributor

Being that it has been sitting, it could be a clogged jet. First clean the carb and jets.

The next place I would think to inspect would be the cvt area. Pull the left cover off and examine how the belt moves on the clutch and variator. May need to lift the wheels off the ground though.

Guang Max 150
All stock but to be like Buggy 1 with all koso cvt.

Roketa 150
Complete tear down building port/polished 61mm NCY head, 62mm cylinder, A12 Cam, 28mm carb, straight through exhaust, 8 pole stator, possibly 2.5 stroker, painting frame, adding plastic including doors and rzr seats.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:20 PM
Lurker

Thanks for the suggestions. It was the fuel lines. This little thing screams now!
But now how do I get my dad off of it? Lol. He’s 69 and thinks he has replaced his golf cart!

I will update soon with some pics!
Old 10-26-2017, 04:08 PM
Heavy Contributor

Lol. Good for him.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:01 PM
Contributor

More power to him, if he still has the back to get down in one of these and stand the ride. My dad is 62 and after 3 major back surgeries (broke his neck when he was 15 and was "supposed" to never walk again) won't even try to get down in one. I really don't blame him.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Lurker

Sorry to hear about your dad neo. Hope he’s doing ok now. Awesome to hear he beat the odds!
It’s funny to see my dad down in there, that’s for sure! His big ole belly almost hits the steering wheel! Lol a big kid at heart!

Thanks guys!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:49 PM
Lurker

What are the best, cheapest mods for a little more power?
Old 10-27-2017, 04:58 AM
Contributor

No need to feel sorry for the old coot. He still gets around and has his fun. He was riding his 4 wheeler today. Something else you might look into if the fuel lines were a problem is to replace the vacuum and vent hoses. You can pick up a few feet of good silicone hose to replace the rubber and be done with it. Silicone doesn't degrade like rubber does and almost lasts a lifetime. I do this on everything I own. You can get all fancy and do neon colored or just go with simple black.

Cheapest mods is remove the factory intake and do the "redneck" intake and rejet the carb for more power. After that I suggest playing with the weights in the trans to get it dialed in for the type of riding you do. That doesn't add power but tunes it more or less. If sound aint a problem you can put a better flowing exhaust on it. Exhaust mods can get costly. A muffler swap isn't that bad but bumping up the size can be unless you can weld it yourself.

Anything after that starts getting more involved mechanics wise and costly. My biggest bang for the buck was a cam. I can't speak for it myself but then you can big bore it. From my research I would suggest one of the 170-180cc kits. Seems anything bigger has reliability problems IMHO.

Last edited by neo71665; 10-27-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Heavy Contributor

You can get a 155cc head kit with the cam you want. Plug and play for most part. I went with the A12 cam. I did notice lower end power. Port and polish heads.
If changing weights in cvt. I do like the response better in sliders, over roller weights.