BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Lurker

Default Hello Everyone

Hi, my name is David (Ironknot-buggy) and I'm into all things buggy.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Lite Contributor

Hey man welcome! I joined over the weekend myself. It's a great forum with a lot of helpful people on it from what I've seen from reading and experienced myself so far.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Lurker

Thanks Superman. . . you know I never thought Superman would be a lurker. . . To be honest I don't knot how I feel about it. . .
Should be lots of fun, my minds ticks on new ideas.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironknot-Buggy View Post
Thanks Superman. . . you know I never thought Superman would be a lurker. . . To be honest I don't knot how I feel about it. . .
Should be lots of fun, my minds ticks on new ideas.
It's only because I'm new. I'm pretty active on forums usually.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Lurker

Default Oh . . . sure

. . . what about all that hanging around on the top of buildings . . . and I hate to mention it but X-ray vision. . . my head is spinning. . . Oh No I'm one to . . . its spreading.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome
Old 06-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Lurker

Thanks Metal, cool site!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Contributor

Welcome to the site great people with a lot of help
Old 06-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Lurker

Default Hi Zapper

Hi Zapper thanks, I think your right about the site and the competitions, although I haven't had time to read a great deal as yet, seem like a bit of fun.
I probably should mention I'm designing my own buggy and can think of nothing better than working through new ideas, they make me tick.
I have a large single seat design and the closer I get to finalizing it the more ideas and details seem to present themselves. The buggy may knot be the norm for this site but its ideas that I think are important and thats just a buggy thing so here's the plan:
I have a Hayabusa 1300, 1999, complete bike, accident damaged but seems to run good and no noise or smoke.
Fox 18 x 2 inch coil overs with res, no springs as yet (front)
Fox 16 x 2 inch air shocks (back).
Fox 16 x 2 inch 3 tube by-pass shocks (back).
Grey area 4 piston front brake kit.
Stubs, combo for A-arm.
930 CVs.
Its something I've been wanting to do for a long time and the ideas have been coming together for a few years so I've brought the parts I think will work with the end result and are trying to gather as much information as I can to get the plan finalised.
As I say maybe knot what everyone wants but I hope the Idea at least will stir some interest and if so I will post a build thread when I'm ready to start getting things inplace.
At the minute, I'm budgeting a welder and for Cromo thats probably going to be a Tig, then I'm teaching myself to weld. . . lol. . . if I sound optomistic, I am.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Your in the right forum!!! Most of us would want to build that "Highend Buggy/Sandrail!!! You definitely have the "ULTIMATE" powerplant. You also have some of the other expensive parts of a build- "quailty" shocks. I'm very interested in your build and seeing the progress when you start.
Your being optimistic is a great quality to have as this will carry you through the "can't make up my mind" stage of a build. IMO- I think Mig/Tig/Heliarc welding are fairly easy to master- it's the understanding of "metallurgy" that most people overlook or fail to wrap their heads around.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Contributor

Default Build

I always like to get the opinions of others that have more experance in things before jumping in and screwing things up.
I just need to complete the Trantula first and then start on the Taz build.LOL
Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Lurker

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapper View Post
I always like to get the opinions of others that have more experance in things before jumping in and screwing things up.
I just need to complete the Trantula first and then start on the Taz build.LOL
Would have to agree with you there Zapper and no shortage of jobs on the list too. . . LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
Your in the right forum!!! Most of us would want to build that "Highend Buggy/Sandrail!!! You definitely have the "ULTIMATE" powerplant. You also have some of the other expensive parts of a build- "quailty" shocks. I'm very interested in your build and seeing the progress when you start.
Your being optimistic is a great quality to have as this will carry you through the "can't make up my mind" stage of a build. IMO- I think Mig/Tig/Heliarc welding are fairly easy to master- it's the understanding of "metallurgy" that most people overlook or fail to wrap their heads around.
Good point you make about the metallurgy, I haven't though about it and maybe I should do some research, I'm knot completely settled with the idea of the weld sinking into the pipe fitment idea even though I have some arc experience. This I will do.

Both of you seem to have reached my idea nicely, good to know there is interest in the project. . . time to search metallurgy.

Just to broarden the idea a bit: I have looked at a Roadstercycle reverse but think a jack shaft with starter ring around a disk for brake and starter reverse will suit be better. The problem at the moment is getting from the jack shaft to the axle, I want something that will last and this will take some new ideas that have me thinking a lot.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

I've given the starter reverse a minutes thought in the past & the biggest obstacle I found was the size of the ring gear/tooth count. To be affordable you need a good high torque starter to match and 10"+ size is about as small as you can go- this almost always exceeds the size axle sprocket needed and creates a very large cradle/spool housing. Unless you're after an extreme long travel machine-engine spacing is critical on the IRS to get the rear tires as close to the seat as possible and reduce the CV hubs support arms- either swung on the rear of the cockpit or A-arm configuration. I always wanted to look at my Goldwing set-up for reverse as an option in a buggy. IMO- The Roadstercycle is EXPENSIVE to me!!!! If I were to spend that kind of money it would be on a RPM gearbox.