BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Lurker

Default Newbie with a newbie question

Hello guys. I picked up my first kart today and need help identifying the exact make and model. It resembles the Kandi 150cc, but it is water cooled, so I think it may be a 250cc. It needs a little bit of work, but runs well. The main reason for needing to identify it is for parts. Specifically, I need the reverse cable, e-brake cable, and some other odds and ends. Thanks in advance. Below is the link to pictures.

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/th...NAME=snapfish/
Old 06-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Contributor

Would be easier to see all the photos, if you put them on photobucket, then supplied links. Snapfish requires joining and more junk mail to see your pics,

From the one head on shot it is hard to tell, but appears to be in the HammerHead type frame category. A frame design marketted under severral different names in 150, 250, $ 300cc applications. Need some good pics, especially of the engine to help with an ID on it...
Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Lurker

I apologize. Attached is the link to photos on photobucket. Also, the engine shots were taken at night so they aren't that amazing. I can take better pics after work.

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t420/trentongixxer/

Last edited by trentongixxer; 06-14-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Left out link
Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentongixxer View Post
I apologize. Attached is the link to photos on photobucket. Also, the engine shots were taken at night so they aren't that amazing. I can take better pics after work.

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t420/trentongixxer/
definitely a 250cc engine, but with the better pics, I'm gonna retact the HH identification, and go more toward a Manco kart.
Mancoman, a member on this sight has one, and I'm sure could be of help to you in locating the parts you need, also SYCARMS in the Vendor section, would be a great help in further ID'ing, and possibly a good parts source too. You can find him in the Vendor section, and PM him directly.

Most of our buggies have been produced in just a couple of factories in China, and carry a miriad of names. But I'm pretty sure it will fall in the manc or AMS family, and not much problem to find the parts you need.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy your new buggy.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Lite Contributor

Definitely a 250cc engine. I've never seen a 150cc with water cooling.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Heavy Contributor

It looks like the 250cc version of Roketa GK-46:

http://www.roketa.com/product/259/0/39627.shtml
Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Lurker

Looks like Roketa.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Lurker

I was thinking Roketa as well. The front guard is exactly the same, but I haven't seen that body style on a 250cc.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Contributor

Say hello and welcome the site.Great people and great help.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Lurker

Thanks for the replies. Do you guys know of any access to service manuals?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Lite Contributor

Okay now I know why I was confused. It's the GK-46 but it came as a 150cc. It looks like they upgraded the engine. That's not the normal place for a radiator.

Can you give us anymore details? Did the previous owner swap the engine or buy it that way?

Not the service manual but a link for parts and shows similar models that may help.

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.ph...vehicle/vID/22

Last edited by Superman; 06-14-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Lurker

That would make sense. Where is the radiator normally on the GK-46? The guy I purchased from said he bought from a father and son. He made no mention of whether the engine was swapped. If you go back to my photobucket link I added 2 better engine pictures. I'm really itching to fix reverse, as I find myself outside pushing it more than I'd like.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
That would make sense. Where is the radiator normally on the GK-46? The guy I purchased from said he bought from a father and son. He made no mention of whether the engine was swapped. If you go back to my photobucket link I added 2 better engine pictures. I'm really itching to fix reverse, as I find myself outside pushing it more than I'd like.

There is normally NO radiator on a GK-46 it's sold and designed as a 150cc kart with no radiator. It's what clued me into that being redesigned (my guess anyway).

Fixing reverse could be the cable loose or the gear box jammed or bad. Will it shift into reverse? My Hammerheads are finicky about it sometimes. Sometimes I just have to rev the throttle then shift or other times move it forward a bit then try.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Lurker

The cable was broken when i received it. There is enough of a lead coming out where I can put tension on it and the engine will rev without kicking into reverse. I feel like it wants to catch but can't. Do you think that signals a bad gear?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
The cable was broken when i received it. There is enough of a lead coming out where I can put tension on it and the engine will rev without kicking into reverse. I feel like it wants to catch but can't. Do you think that signals a bad gear?
Well right off the bat it sounds like you need to replace the cable. I would imagine that may fix the issue. Like I said reverse on mine is plain finicky. I have to sometimes really jam it into reverse and others it just slides in.

Start with a new cable and go from there.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Lurker

Where do you guys get your parts? Are there any places that could ship it to me quickly?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Where do you guys get your parts? Are there any places that could ship it to me quickly?
I just google search for parts. Once I find the part I then search for better deals.

It depends on where you are and where the company is shipping from on speed. A local place would be good for speed.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Lurker

I looked around with no luck for a cable the same length as the one that broke, so I decided to get creative. i shortened the old sleeve and made a new fastening system. I then pulled the gearbox apart and inspected it. the inside of the box looked solid. I lubed everything and reassembled. After some cable adjustments and some PB Blaster I have reverse. Hopefully that will buy me some time to find real replacement cables. Thanks for all of the input.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
I looked around with no luck for a cable the same length as the one that broke, so I decided to get creative. i shortened the old sleeve and made a new fastening system. I then pulled the gearbox apart and inspected it. the inside of the box looked solid. I lubed everything and reassembled. After some cable adjustments and some PB Blaster I have reverse. Hopefully that will buy me some time to find real replacement cables. Thanks for all of the input.
Dude awesome! Just needed some more pressure/tension on the cable it sounds like.

Would this work? http://www.roketapartsdept.com/produ...-9248-666.html

Everything I've seen and read shows the GK-46 being similar to the GK-01.

Last edited by Superman; 06-16-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Contributor

Cool beans, glad to see you're back in the saddle.