BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Off Topic and Other Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything Goes!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Default Car dealers and crack

Well guys now that I am back in the groove work wise, I am trying to find something reasonable to drive back and forth on my 35mile each way commute. I gotta say that I am just amazed in car shopping. If there ever was a car buyer, it's me! I have personally owned over 70 cars. I am finding that in today's times, I'm just not willing to spend the cash. Seems you can have a job today and not tomorrow so I am not willing to drop big bucks on something right now.

I am thinking to myself that if this is the attitude that I have, most people aren't even considering a car right now so the demand would be really low. Basic economics dictate the rules of supply and demand but from what I can tell, the car dealers are still living in a fantasy land!

Here's a rule I think they need to follow for a while: Lower your profit expectations! Instead of planning on making a ton of money, make half a ton. If it's still profit then you are doing ok. If and when the economy recovers, you can start edging it back up.

Anyone else been car shopping lately?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Heavy Contributor

you would think that in these days and time , a car dealer would want to make two slow nickles rather than one fast dime. That doesn't seem to be the case. they want to get as much profit as possible off each sale. There is one good tool you can use when shopping. Use the internet to see what the going price is for a particular venicle. most new car dealers have at least a 40 % markup and will work down from there depending on your persistance and attitude. Know what you want. Know what they cost to the dealer, Get your money and financing setup before shopping and let them feel your not afraid to let the deal fail at any moment. if the dealer can see you are serious, they will bend over to keep you from walking away
I stopped into a truck dealer to get some parts for my old tired 94' dodge ram. I spotted a new truck on the line as I pulled in, decided to take a look just for funsies This truck was built for me! Had every thing I wanted in a truck and even in my color. A healthy sticker price of $49,900. Oh well, too rich for my blood, turned to head for the parts dept. A sales man comes trotting across the lot to catch up with me. I hold up my hand before he has a chance to speak! I knew what the dealer invoice, plus the factory rebates to the dealers were so I had a pretty good idea of what this dealer had in the truck " I don't care what that sticker price reads. I don't care what the trade in value of my truck is, I won't pay a dime over 30,000 period! Do the paper work to show a final included sale of less than 30. If you can do that , I'll be in the parts dept! If not, don't bother me!" I never slowed my walk and mostly spoke over my shoulder while this guy tried to keep up. He stops, turns to walk off. I figured that would blow him off. 15 minutes later, he comes into the parts dept. "OK we can do that!" I leave there with a new fully loaded, leather interior, 4 door, turbo desiel, 3500, duelly ram! I also got them to agree to a bed liner and a 5th wheel hitch installed as I sat with pen poised to sign. The sales man hesitated when I stipulated so I started to stand up, "Ok, OK, but I can't get it done today!" "I can live with that" as I signed the purchase. The dealer made maybe a couple of grand off the sale along with a couple of grand off the trade in, The sales man made his quota, I got a new truck at 15 below bluebook so it was a fair days work.