BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Off Topic and Other Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything Goes!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Power User

Default Any boaters? --"Sea legs" cure????

My favorite time of year --- spring = spending a couple weeks up on the hi-lift working on the range netting. Did an 8 hour session up there today and already my on-ground equilibrium is off kilter. Even sitting here in my office chair everything is still "moving". Every year, it gets worse, faster. I've got about 2 weeks straight of lift work ahead of me and the recovery time last year was about a week and a half until it felt like the ground wasn't moving under me all the time. Does anyone know of any tricks to make it go away???? Stop the world ..i wanna get off ... seriously ....
Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Contributor

Sea legs and land legs are somthing you have or dont ! I have been sailing for 30 years and i Have never found or seen anything that realy works for me, Same thing every time 3 hours of sailing i get quezzy , then it goes away for me , back on lan after a 2 week sail , dizzy for 4 to 5 hours , sleep does not feel the same the first nite , then all better. The only one thing i have found to help but very little is coffee !
Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Power User

I don't get queasy from it, just the lift platform at full stick sways in the wind so much my legs and brain gets used to countering the movement. I have to work with both hands free, so i just sort of hula dance up there all the time. I get on the ground and the 'ol noggin doesn't seem to want to reset to stable ground for a loooong time. the only time i don't feel it is if i lie flat on my back. I'm a coffee junkie, i have to cut down when i'm on the lift as it tends to get me a little too nervous when i'm at height sometimes.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

You just have to get used to it, it's more than just swaying that your brain is trying to process (trusting the equipment). I train men on lifts and I still get the weak knees after not being up for a while ,but it passes. I train them on a 110' stick- first we go horizontal,full stick (8'-10' off the ground) to straight up with nothing around the lift. I always see the trainees start to get lower in the basket at about 40'-50' and white knuckled till we get straight up (assuming they get that far). Every year it get's a little harder/slower to get over it.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Power User

I think it's my brain telling me i'm getting too old for this "fun". I used to love doing this, it's the after effects that are killing me. i'll be walking into doorway edges in another day or two. dismantled a buddy's range a few years back that was up at 125' I don't mind the big sticks, these little 70s with non-extending axles at full move around at full a lot more than the big sticks up around 100. Add in all the ruts we have from running them over the years and the fact that the whole range is on a downslope and I'm not surprised that my helpers never want to come back the next year. Working solo right now until i get the 100-footer in for my high side. When the work is done, i usually run up full to take pictures of the range and mini golf, it is a lot different when you're up there with nothing around you. I like watching the planes from the airport across the street fly below me. )))
Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Lurker

I have been a Merchant Seaman since '68. During very rough weather or a storm every one out there including myself gets at the least a queasy stomach. Just have to live with it.