BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Lurker

Default girls need new engine

I bought a used Manco Silver Fox GFX about two years ago for my two girls. Now 12 and 14. The engine it has on it is an old roto tiller engine that is too old, small and hard to start. The rest of the kart is in decent shape.

I am looking for any expertise on motor type, size and torque converter I should consider. I have been looking at the honda motors, but i think the briggs may be more aligned with the value and reliability I'm looking for. I also have been looking at the new replacement TAV2 torque converters.

Any input is appreciated. I grew up riding dirt bikes, but go karts are new to me. My girls are on my case about fixing the go kart so, I figure I just need to get it done. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Administrator

I'd take a honda motor over anything but maybe a Robyn Suburu. Hard to beat them on dependability. Only problem with them is that you do pay well for them. SmallEngineWarehouse.com is about the best place I have found for those type engines.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Just a thought- I'm sure you're aware of the Harbor Freight 6.5 Honda clone engines- you can buy 2 or 3 of these for the price of just one of the other type engines.Since this is one of the most common engine for go kart racing they're very cheap to buy. They'll last you a while and most every aftermarket up-grade part fits them.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 AM
Supporting Vendor

I have one of the Harbor Freight I use to run my remote air compressor for some years now and its a great copy. And as stated by Metalstudman cheap.

TOM
Old 09-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

The TAV 2 bolts right onto the Honda clone engines
Old 09-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Lurker

thanks everyone for the input on motor brands. With my size of go kart (2 seater, pretty large rear wheels, etc.) what do you guys think on a 6.5HP vs. a larger engine - eg. 10HP or so? I checked out youtube and see a lot of 6.5s on small mini bikes and go Karts. My kart is significantly bigger. I realize that speed and torque is strongly related to the gear ratio. I don't want my girls to fly out of control, but I also don't want it to be ho-hum. Would a 6.5 and a Tav 2 have enough fun factor or should I step up to a bigger engine?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

You kart/buggy came with a 6.5 hp engine and almost the same CVT. It should run about 25-32 mph's. Adding a larger engine adds more money!!!! when you go bigger than a 3/4" crank shaft output the CVT gets seriously more expensive.Unless your kids are very large individuals then the 6.5 should do ok. The Silver Fox wasn't a rocket from the factory or designed to be.