BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Variator Rollers keep getting flat spots/failing

I replaced the variator rollers with aftermarkets because they had flat spots. The new ones got flat spots within about 3 months. Is this normal.
The condition we ride in is mainly flat, kids have a track in the field behind house.
The carts are mainly ran full open around track.

Any suggestions on upgrades or causes?

Carbide 7150 150cc yellow spring
Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

Don't figure in length of time but rather in hours put on the motor. so it's hard to say what is normal. They can and do wear fast. keeping the ramps polished clean will extend the life and a dry lubricant such as graphite will help also. Any sort of sticky lubricant that will attract and hold dirt is a no-no
Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Heavy Contributor

Also try using sliders they're more durable. And if ur using. 10gram rollers you'll need 12gram sliders for it to be equivelant of what rollers your using.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Contributor

Sliders are the way to go, that's what I have run for the last couple years on my wifes buggy. I put a DR2 variator from kid n me on my red buggy that came with the 20mm rollers vs the stock 18mm and they haven't flat spoted yet in over three years of use. But we don't ride every day we go to the desert about 5 times a year. I think the 20mm rollers carry the load better and they are wider and can only be used with the dr2. But for a few buck you can get some 11 or 12 gram slider and be worry free without the chatter from the flat rollers.

10 gram sliders are great for take off and spinning the tires but will hurt top speed. I tried 12 gram sliders on my wifes buggy and it was a little lazy and the 11 worked best until I bought a new variator for my wifes buggy last Christmas thinking it was the 20mm dr2 but it was a 18mm dr2 by the same motorio brand. I ended up putting a combo of 10/12 sliders and it works sweet.

Last edited by Johnny 5; 05-01-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Lite Contributor

I was thinking about sliders actually, would probably prefer a higher top end but not a dog when taking off. We do not do any climbing. What would you suggest?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Heavy Contributor

11 gram sliders, its about as light you can go for torque without losing top end.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Contributor

I agree the 11g sliders are a good choice.