BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 11-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

Default 6.5HP engine loss of power on bumpy ground

Hello I have a 6.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine on my Manco intruder 606, the engine runs great and has lots of power, it's able to pull me (about 200lbs) up some steep hills.

My problem is I have a loss of power when I'm on bumpy terrain, If I'm riding on smooth ground everything is fine, but as soon as I go off road I get power loss as if the engine wants to die, then it picks back up... The engine has never completely quit, it just looses lots of power.

I thought I had a Low oil sensor, but I took my case cover off and I don't have one, I also removed the governor while I was in there. It seems as if while I'm riding I'm flicking the on/off switch to off then quickly turning it back on before it dies. I don't know if it's a spark issue...

My brother has the same issue with his Tecumseh 6.5 also.

Any help would be appreciated...
Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

If it's not a fuel delivery issue (check fuel line for cracks, pulse hose for a good seal on the valve cover and no cracks, trash in the tank or a bad gasket @ the carb) I'd be checking my coil,kill switch or ground connections since it only does it when being bounced and rattled.I think you mean't to say you disconnected the govenor- to remove it you have to open up the engine.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
If it's not a fuel delivery issue (check fuel line for cracks, pulse hose for a good seal on the valve cover and no cracks, trash in the tank or a bad gasket @ the carb) I'd be checking my coil,kill switch or ground connections since it only does it when being bounced and rattled.I think you mean't to say you disconnected the govenor- to remove it you have to open up the engine.
Yeah, that's what I did, I opened up the engine to remove the governor weights and the little hammer thing that pushes on the arm to limit RPMs.

Some guys say it might be the float bouncing around in the carb, I don't know quite how it works... they say you can get an extra spring to limit the bouncing (I might give that a try) but first I'm gonna check all the electrics and make sure everything is tight.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Power User

if your brother also removed his governor and has the same issue, then i think you need to install a return spring as is recommended and shown by buggymaster in this thread ... http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292
It might be running fine on the flats because the engine is getting a smooth rpm pull up to the top end vs really getting put to the test under a more resistive full load. (bumps/hills.)

otherwise, another item to check--is the fuel tank -- the rear push-in mount on mine was all chewed up and wouldn't stay in the engine cover slot. the tank apparently bounced like crazy and as soon as i ran about 1/4 tank of fuel out of a full tank, it would cut out on the rough stuff. Ran fine on the smooth. I bungied the tank down and problem solved.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
if your brother also removed his governor and has the same issue, then i think you need to install a return spring as is recommended and shown by buggymaster in this thread ... http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292
It might be running fine on the flats because the engine is getting a smooth rpm pull up to the top end vs really getting put to the test under a more resistive full load. (bumps/hills.)

otherwise, another item to check--is the fuel tank -- the rear push-in mount on mine was all chewed up and wouldn't stay in the engine cover slot. the tank apparently bounced like crazy and as soon as i ran about 1/4 tank of fuel out of a full tank, it would cut out on the rough stuff. Ran fine on the smooth. I bungied the tank down and problem solved.
well, it was doing all of this before I removed the governor so that might rule that out...

and the way the tank is mounted by four bolts... it's not moving.

this is pretty much the engine I have hear... http://www.jackssmallengines.com/bs65Intek_specs.html
Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
this guy knows what he is talkin about i had a ground issue in side of my switch box and every time i would go over rough terrain it would die or start cutting out.i thought it was my carb.(32mm mikuni) and thought it was floding. i spent alot of time jetting and adjusting.until one day the kids were useing it as a jungle jim and stepped on some wires and this led me to the problem in the switch box.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:49 AM
Lurker

Yep! Grounding wire hitting the metal case as was said earlier.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Lurker

I have Subaru engines 169cc (6.5 ). I would like to remove the governor Could I get some direction on how to get it done