BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 11-07-2015, 07:06 AM
Lurker

Default choices

My kids ride Carter SPX karts with Tecumseh electric start 6hp/6.5hp engines, and TC-30 series converter (3/4 shaft, 40/41 chain).

Since Carter is no longer around to my knowledge, I have accumulated multiple SPX karts to use for spare parts. I usually purchase Carter SPX karts if the prices are below $500 depending on condition, and if I have the spare cash. I think I'm up to six or seven now. Unfortunately, most came missing a few parts like guards and dust covers. Some parts, like the torque converters and belts, have gone bad on almost all the karts.

I don't want to clean/rebuild the torque converters any more. Most of the setups were missing the covers, which allows for dirt to clog up the system with ease, especially while plowing through mud. The missing covers also allowed for an incident where the belt snapped, and shredded the wiring harness, nearly causing an electrical fire just below the fuel tank. I plan to fabricate metal belt guards to deter that from happening again. I think we have one stock guard to use as a templet.

I see complete TC kits with belts and plastic covers on ePay, but the prices vary from around $87 to upwards of $300. Nation of origin aside, they all look nearly identical in the pictures. Some ads are cleverly worded to say
Comet, but in fact are knockoffs. Which brands are the most bang for the buck? Is there a place selling cheaper for multiple orders? I'd like to purchase "Comet" brand only, but the prices of multiple Comet units would add up quickly.

On a different subject, is there a direct replacement for the 12v electric start, 6/ 6.5hp Tecumsehs with alternator (lights and recharge battery)? Most of our engines still work, but If we decide to replace or upgrade them, it would be nice to know who has an easy fit (cables and such) engine with the same options.

I have include a few pictures I had save on this computer. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the torque converter side of the engine. I'll try and take new pictures later.

Thanks,
Luke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2936spx_Whtbg_Lrg.jpg (13.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg go cart engine.jpg (69.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140322_180227.jpg (101.3 KB, 6 views)