BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Lurker

Default Gear oil and break in procedures

Hello,
I'm new here, and have a few questions. My tomberlin crossfire 150 had a issue with oil getting past the valves, so I replaced the motor and just got it running today. Before installing it, I had to swap output shafts. How do I add gear oil, as I think it is low. Secondly, How do I break this motor in? Any and all help is appreciated, and I do have a good amount of mechanical experience. Thank you
Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Supporting Vendor

When breaking in a motor break-in oil should be used if available, if not available run a strait weight non detergent motor oil. Drive the buggy for about 5-7 hours fluctuating speed constantly but never going past 3/4 throttle. Many believe breakin is a bunch of bunk. When you build an engine the closer the tolerances are to normal spec the less time needed to breakin the engine. when these engines are mass produced and since in many cases older technology is used and little quality control the manufacturers will error on the tight side. Therefore an engine with tight tolorences will need the breakin period. If not the engine due to the excessive friction created by the tight tolorences will have more premature wear on it thus making it less reliable. If your buggy has the external reverse there will be 2 10mm plugs in the final drive case. One will be on the very bottom for draining and the other will be on the left side of case.The CVT cover will curve around this fill plug. Fill it just as you would fill a rear end. The internal reverse engines will usually be located on the right side of case and will usually have on the case oil capasity.

TOM
Old 05-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Lurker

Thanks, however my motor does not have reverse, is this different?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Supporting Vendor

No, the origional GY6 was used in scooters which have no reverse. When the engine was introduced into the go-kart like your buggy, had no provision for a reverse. To remedy this, a longer output shaft was installed so as to mount an external rev. unit. Your engine like all GY6 engines have a final drive section. This is where the gear lube goes. Refer to the instructions I gave in the previous post for the external reverse engine.

TOM