BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Lurker

Default Scratch build.. Need advice!

Hey I just got this cart in a trade, traded my old iPod nano for it. But I came to find out, it wasn't as sweet as I thought it was (but I still got a steal!) so here's what's wrong:
- the motor (a rotax 377, which is actually 386 cc) well the motor had a zinc bolt broke off in all 4 mounting hole
- his genius drive train was a belt comin straight off the clutch directly to this dish thing he welded onto the back axel
- no brakes
- and no suspension or roll cage... But I'm not worried about thy stuff yet, just wanna get it moving first

So here's what I've done so far:
- drilled out the zinc bolts, and tapped put the holes.. Unfortunately only 2 were successful, one hole I drilled out, didn't drill it exactly centered, the other hole I tapped out, well I don't know why it didn't work, but it didn't
- I've gotten a secondary clutch, but don't have a jack shaft for it
- I also got the chain and gears out of a chain case off an old snowmobile
- and I've got about 50 ft of steel tube

The first thing I'm focused on right now is getting a cheap little arc welder (I'm just a poor college student, can't afford the good stuff yet)
I'm thinking for the engine, I have some grade 8 bolts, that I can cut the heads off them and weld them into the engine mounting holes, so instead of bolting some bolts into the engine, I can weld them on and then hold tighten them down with some nuts.
As for the drive train.. I have no idea what I need to do.. I can get a jack shaft for 20 bucks, but I don't know how I would mount the jack shaft on, and I have to get bearings also.. And if I do that, I would probably have to get another rear axel.. I'm open to all ideas for getting my power to the wheels! I'll try and get some pics on later..
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

How about some pics of this beast
Old 11-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Contributor

hey there, i got a yerf dog pretty messed up myself,from a family member, he said it was in working condision but the jack shaft and bearings were fubard. the motor ran (6.5 techumsa)but had no power.so i built a totaly new rear end with new axel that has a planetary gear differential and put an 11hp honda clone on it. it realy did not cost much(minus the motor and clutch set up and got alot of stuff like chian and bearings from a friend,and ebay.) cuz i had some 2x2 box tubbing left over from a suspension build on my chevy s-10 and already have a plasma cutter,welder,and many other handy tools. metal is my 2nd love.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

What type of Yerf?If it's not too late on the Rotax engine bolt holes - weld a nut through the hole to whatever is left of the broke-off bolt and wrench it out. I'd like to see your axle set-up.