BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Lurker

Default narrow tires on the rear

What would a narrow tire on the rear of my Yerf Dog do. I am upgrading my yerf with some frontend upgrades, new wheels, brakes, shocks, tires, and some minor engine mods. I have a set of new 22 8 10 Kendra max fronts I would like to run on the rear, and a set of 18 inch high narrow 8s on the front. Does anyone have any idea what that combo would do on trails and woods?
Will be running the stock gearing in the rear end with a 39 tooth axle sprocket. 1500 clutch spring, 10 gr. rollers, A12 cam, red neck intake, gutted exhaust.
What do you guys think?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

It seems like your going to have less traction for mud and sand only. For other type of riding you'll be quicker for being less friction of narrower tires and your existing mods..... what do you think? Maybe?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Heavy Contributor

I guess what I'm saying is it should make you a little faster than someone with the exact mods as you but with wider rear tires. That's all. And wider tires advantage would be better performance when it comes to mud and sand.again its just my thoughts on this. I may be wrong.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
It seems like your going to have less traction for mud and sand only. For other type of riding you'll be quicker for being less friction of narrower tires and your existing mods..... what do you think? Maybe?
That is what I was thinking. We don't have much sand around here and I don't ride in the mud. I couldn't think of a reason it wouldn't work ok for the riding around here. We ride on dirt trails through the woods with some hills to climb. My buggy has wider tires then the side by sides my friends ride, and they have no trouble getting around.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:58 AM
Heavy Contributor

Your good.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 AM

The only thing I think might be an issue is running a front tire on the rear, you will not have the traction the rear tires provide. Take a look at the difference in the two tires. The fronts are designed the hook and release for better steering, where the rears hold longer to clear loose soil/mud/sand. That being said, you will have more weight per square inch of rubber on the ground, which will make traction better, they will bite harder and dig less, except in sand, which you would want to 'float' on instead of penetrate.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 10-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Power User

One thing not mentioned is that you would most likely see a much improved steering response due to less push from the narrower rear tires. Less rolling resistance & lighter weight, so improved acceleration. Easier roll-over up front with the taller tires, jsut make sure you don't cut into your turning radius with frame clearance issues. downside-more susceptible to punctures as most rear tires are 2 plies more than the fronts. I'd go for it.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Lurker

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to give them a try. It will be another month before I have it done. I will let you all know how it works out. I mounted the 22 inch tires on the front to check clearance when I was adding the heim joints. They just clear but will touch when I add a couple more teeth to the rack. The 18s will clear after the rack mod.
The narrow tires give it a sandrail look up front. I like it.