BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Heavy Contributor

Default Well...I might buy a new buggy

Hello all. Anyone who has been following ANY of my threads can figure out that I am beginning to despise my Yerf (I feel sad that I am sad about the cart) and even my dad says when I'm done with my experiment (see my reverse kit thread) that I should sell it. At them moment, I am on the PC quite a bit, and I'm saving up some money to get an Apple computer, new monitor, etc etc. I was wondering if maybe I'll just say that I'll get a "not so expensive and powerful" computer, and use some of that money towards a new gokart. And on that note, I have a 1800 budget if I do so....sadly SYC is just too expensive (if only....) and I have NO clue where to go. Last I looked at this stuff new, I was fantasizing and I was 9. So.... I have no clue here. Help!
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Power User

My advice... You're young I take it --14-17 y.o.? Hold on to the yerf--i'm sure you've read plenty of upgrade and build threads here and seen what they can become. if you haven't search and read some more. All of these buggies have their flaws--even new--some of those even more than the used ones. the yerfs are pretty light, the howhit a good engine, combined it's one of the quickest of the 150s in stock form.

Part 2-- a longshot, but ... See if you can't find a local small engine/mower/motorcycle repair or welding shop---an old school one with a grumpy old man running it out of his garage or older shop. offer up some good old fashioned labor (shop cleaning, parts stripping/cleaning, heavy lifting etc.) in exchange for a little less than minimum wage -- under the table -- and the agreement to get some help on your yerf--or even flat up trade your labor for the help with the repairs. what you could learn in such a situation is experience that cant' be taught in any school these days.

the fact that you feel sad that your sad about the cart is telling you'll regret parting ways with it too soon.

What it needs isn't all that complex. Ignore the lack of reverse for now. Ask for some front suspension parts for christmas if you can't get it built "safe" (really-those ball joints are just begging to unleash the hounds of mechanical mayhem on you) by then. personalize (lights, paint, body cladding) it with a little bit of spending here and there.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Heavy Contributor

Smile

Interesting thoughts, X-Bird, but I'm beginning to lean towards selling it. I've seen all that these Spiderboxes can do when "tricked out", but it seems that I would have to put in quite a bit I labor and jump straight into it too. Te reason I don't wanna do this is cuz Im a complete noob at this. A arms, spindles, I can totally do that. Easy "bolt on" stuff. Once we get to the engine, I have no clue what's what. Plus, for the price it takes to upgrade, I could buy a new one (total amount of money spent). And then do some small upgrades on it. Plus, this thing has got quite a bit of rust underneath. I'm not sure if I really do trust how the previous owners kept it. Buying on ends would eliminate y risk of someone saying "oh by the way, my sons flipped it two weeks ago" or someone saying "yea... We left it outside for 6 months so it's got some rust on it!"

I think imma try to go for a new one (the parental unit is considering)
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Power User

if you go new, just search/read up on all the brands you're looking at ....
Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 AM

A suggestion if you go new ..... I would go HammerHead. Big name brand.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Supporting Vendor

In the 150cc class Hammerhead, American Sport Works, Trail Master. Hammerhead being the top of the line but need to buy from local dealer since hammerhead requires it to be assembled for warranty to be in effect. Hammerhead does not drop ship. Trail master can be drop shipped. Beware of the no name brands, you'll save money up front but will have very little support and eventually problems getting certain parts. The yerf is a good starter buggy.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Heavy Contributor

I don't want the Yerf because of the way it was treated before I owned it, plus it actually turns out cheaper to sell this (assuming I break even) and get my money back. I am looking at a Kandi KD-150GKA-2, a Trailmaster 150XRS, and a Trailmaster 150XRX. I would love the XRX, and my budget will probly increase to 2K as I am working an earning some money, but does anyone know how much a 150XRS or XRX should cost? The place that has the trailmasters (georgia gokarts.com) doesn't have prices....
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Contributor

You will be around $2200 for the xrs by the time you leave with it. The xrx is more money for aluminum wheels and another pair of lights.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Heavy Contributor

Note: found a hammerhead 150 GT for 2099 at a place called robertskartshop (nearby). So, I know I have to increase my budget, and I guess I'll look for a like new/used gokart, or a new one. I'll keep looking
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:22 PM

I vote buy a new one, by the time u do all the front end upgrades, shocks, all around, the yerf also has no reverse nor mud flaps, and I'm a yerf owner and I love it but if I could do it over again I would have bought a better quality buggy from the start
Old 11-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Contributor

I paid less than $2200 out the door on my XRX plus it was already assembled. I got it from a place in North Georgia near Chattanooga. You can get the XRS under $2000. Haggle with them.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 11-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Contributor

I agree with mb1134
Old 11-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Lurker

I paid just shy of $2400 out the door for my Trailmaster 150 XRX and I had to do the assembly. I preferred to do it myself anyway. It was from a shop about an hour away and there was no "haggle" to be had. It was a take it or leave it kind of deal. I chose to take it. I've recently found another shop even closer to me that sells them too at pretty much the same price. I've since done the regular upgrades and really like the little beast.

Trailmaster 150 XRX - Uni filter - 124 main jet - 11 gram rollers - red main spring - Iridium plug
Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1134 View Post
I paid less than $2200 out the door on my XRX plus it was already assembled. I got it from a place in North Georgia near Chattanooga. You can get the XRS under $2000. Haggle with them.
Wow..I would think that it would be a "take it or leave it" kind of deal (like webbinator said). I'll think. My dad and I were talking and saying that our options are to A) Wait for someone who took good care of a good buggy and it's practically new (so we save $$$) or option B) Buy new.

It seems we are leaning used, but I really wanna see if I can stretch for a TM XRX150, But who knows. Holidays r coming up might get a little cash
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:40 PM

There u go I would wait the extra couple of weeks with black friday and chrsitmas around the corner I'm sure u will find a good deal on a new one
Old 11-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

The last few years if I didn't stock the buggy by just after Thanksgiving, when I'd try to get some they were out of stock. The bigger companies are not stocking anything near what they once did. And the dealers are stocking less as well. The longer the product sits the less you make off it. Profit margins for any business is nothing close to what they were prior to 2008 so nobody wants to sit on stock too long. In fact one of my suppliers emailed me in late September stating that if I intended to order 5 or more of any one model for Christmas I would have to secure the order by mid October with deposit in order to guarantee that they could supply my needs for the holidays.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Heavy Contributor

Well, I'm aiming for a XRS 150 and we'll see what happens. There are a couple of others, but they are super pricey, and I soooo don't trust the online dealers..

SYCARMS, Could you tell me *about* the mark up % that you use? I'm just wondering if I could try to haggle with some of the shops.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:03 PM

Here is a black friday deal. Buddy of mine saw them and has been asking me about buying one, I don't know, but with the coleman name on it, I would imagine you would at least get decent customer service.

http://www.blackfriday.fm/ad/bjs.com...rt-ck150/79844

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 11-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Heavy Contributor

So funny! I saw that kart online under about a million names. I like it, but I've seen it listed for 1498 (probly a scam) and I've seen it for about 1800.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Heavy Contributor

For that price, I'll just go get a TrailMaster 150XRS from mpsracing.net (great reviews on BuggyNews.com).
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Stick with a trailmaster if ur going new
Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

That's what I was thinking too. Comparing 1899 to 1999 (Kandi to TM) I have no clue why I wouldn't spend the extra 100, or wait a little to save it so I could get the TM.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
Here is a black friday deal. Buddy of mine saw them and has been asking me about buying one, I don't know, but with the coleman name on it, I would imagine you would at least get decent customer service.

http://www.blackfriday.fm/ad/bjs.com...rt-ck150/79844
The link for that buggy was once sold by American Sportworks and was known as the Zircon, it replaced the Helix. The Buggy Master had one and done a review on it. ASW after less then 2 years had cancelled the Zircon due to reliability problems as well as frame cracking. In the long run not a good buggy. The market is totally changed from the early 2000's when the buggies first become popular. Carter burned to the ground several years ago and will probably not return, Kinroad has been banned from importing to the USA. This leaves Hammerhead, ASW, and Trailmaster. Hammerhead owns it's own factory in which they build the HH buggy, Trailmaster Buggy and the ASW buggy however the small buggies are all built in the ASW plant in Indiana where as there is rumor ASW will begin to build the 150 buggy in house as well. These 3 on the market are the best made buggies out there. Many of the cheaper economy buggies may fare well for a couple years with kids mostly driving the 3-5 acre yards or streets. Eventually one of the worst problems they have is cracking of the frame due to the more brittle recycled steel used. Recycled steel is about 1/3 the price of virgin steel and this is one reason you will see a HH buggy for X amount and a no name that looks just like it for a lower Y amount.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Heavy Contributor

Wow, SYC! That's REALLY good to know... I found someone selling a 150XRX near me for 2000, but I'm not gonna pounce on it yet I still have to wait AT LEAST another week or two before I can list my spiderbox and hope it sells and I at least break even...
ugh.
Well, at least I know WHAT to and not to look for!

Thanks everyone!
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Lurker

Fauxfox, I can understand your wanting a new buggy. The Hammerhead is a great buggy, so is the Trailmaster, both good choices. I'm not sure they are the best choice for you. You said you don't know how to work on the engine, or do the mods to the frame, or repairs that require more than bolt on parts.
You would be far better off keeping the Yerf Dog, and spending your money on some tools. For the price of a new buggy you can get all the tools you would need to build your own. With just a handful of wrenches you can rebuild a gy6. They are a very simple engine and you can find all the information you need right here.
You can buy a 110 volt mig welder from one of the discount stores for under $300 and in no time you will be welding like a pro. You can buy a used one for under $100. With a welder, angle grinder, tubing bender, and some time, there is nothing you can not build. Your age is not an issue. The only thing you have to decide is that you can do it.
The fact is your Yerf is not the best buggy, but with a little work and a lot less money than a new one it can be. When you are finished you still have the tools to build the next project.
Last thing. Building it if far better than buying it. No matter what it is.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Heavy Contributor

Sycarm you should pass this on to buggynews and make it a sticky. Good info I didn't know about the frame material and kinroad being banned. I believe that EVERYONE should know this.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:29 PM

The cheaper metal is nothing new. I know the metal on the dirt bike frames in the 90's were having issues with japan at the time even using cheap metals.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymc2286 View Post
Fauxfox, I can understand your wanting a new buggy. The Hammerhead is a great buggy, so is the Trailmaster, both good choices. I'm not sure they are the best choice for you. You said you don't know how to work on the engine, or do the mods to the frame, or repairs that require more than bolt on parts.
You would be far better off keeping the Yerf Dog, and spending your money on some tools. For the price of a new buggy you can get all the tools you would need to build your own. With just a handful of wrenches you can rebuild a gy6. They are a very simple engine and you can find all the information you need right here.
You can buy a 110 volt mig welder from one of the discount stores for under $300 and in no time you will be welding like a pro. You can buy a used one for under $100. With a welder, angle grinder, tubing bender, and some time, there is nothing you can not build. Your age is not an issue. The only thing you have to decide is that you can do it.
The fact is your Yerf is not the best buggy, but with a little work and a lot less money than a new one it can be. When you are finished you still have the tools to build the next project.
Last thing. Building it if far better than buying it. No matter what it is.
And NOW you just brought up the other side of me! So, essentially about 2000 is my budget, and the question is....

Should I just spend the money on a new/very nice cond. used kart and make a few minor bolt on mods, or should I invest in some tools and make a learning experience out of it? I am a very "hands on" kind of person, and I love making things on my own (I want to build a PC, and I actually disassembled and reassembled my desktop, my friends laptop, and an old laptop of my dad's...they all started up fine and work JUUUUUST great ). I'll look into purchasing these tools and the learning curve behind them, it's a prospect I would LOVE to look into, and these skill sets would DEFINITELY be helpful throughout my life.

Edit: On the note of building is better than buying, recently I did a "KipKay" project (neat project ideas on Youtube) called the "Cheapy Laser Lighter Burner" the idea is to hollow out a Bic lighter and put a laser module in that is powerful enough to burn paper and pop balloons. First off, I didn't use a burning module , and second, I had to buy a soldering iron and some solder, along with a few hand tools and bits to work on it. At the time, I was quite mad with having to pay a whole $30 () for the iron, and 10 for the solder, but it's come in handy since then. I agree with you, and I am currently on Harbor Freight checking out tools. ^_^
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!

Last edited by TheFauxFox; 11-17-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Heavy Contributor

So...this is my "wish list" of parts. If I were to be doing frame mods and working on the kart in general, would this work out?

http://amzn.com/w/2Y7RZRLJRFT99
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:36 PM

I have to agree with the build it mentality, to a point. If you build/mod something, you make it YOURS. You build how you want it, so there are no compromises. There won't be a 'I don't like Y option, but I love X engine' type issues, at least not for long. Once you get the hang of cutting an welding, the rest will fall into place. As long as you have the right tools, you can make anything happen.

One thing not mentioned above, is space. You will be surprised at just how much space a disassembled Yerf takes up. I put my frame on saw horses for many of the frame mods, and moved everything around that. The front end, swing arm, engine, tires and wheels take up a lot of awkward room. When I finally got it on the ground, I was reminded how small it was, even though I could barley walk through my garage. Keep in mind, many of the tools you need will need to be stored in the garage along with all the parts.

If I had to ball park it, you would spend roughly $500 on beginner tools, and a couple hundred between engine parts, front end mods, and general bracing and gusseting materials. For now, you can even skip the pipe bender, and grab a drill press in its place. The price for tools seems high, but they are one time expenditures, and will save you time and money down the road. also invest in a small fire extinguisher if you are welding indoors, and never skimp on the safety stuff(glasses, gloves, and welding helmet to start).

Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Heavy Contributor

Why would I need a drill press?
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 PM

If you have to drill something precise, nothing beats a drill press. Plus, if you have to drill through several pieces, like for the ball joint tabs, you will kill your arms and shoulders trying to drill through 4 pieces of 1/4" plate. You can also use it to redneck machine small things, like fittings and bolts. If you happen to get a used one with a machinists vise already installed, you can use that with an end mill bit to machine odd sized holes.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:19 PM

personally as young as you are for right now, I would just buy and ride if I was you. who's to say you won't be bored with this kind of thing in a few months.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFauxFox View Post
So...this is my "wish list" of parts. If I were to be doing frame mods and working on the kart in general, would this work out?

http://amzn.com/w/2Y7RZRLJRFT99
I have a bender like that one. If you look on youtube you will find some mods you can do to it to make it work better. The welder will make a good start. I'm not sure about the cutoff. I think I would go with one of the 4 1/2 inch angle grinders with some cutoff blades and grinding wheels.
Check with your dad and see how much room he is willing to give up for your tools. You can get real creative when it comes to storing hand tools in a small area. To do anything right you have to have the tools.

Jimmy
Old 11-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman007007 View Post
personally as young as you are for right now, I would just buy and ride if I was you. who's to say you won't be bored with this kind of thing in a few months.
EXACTLY what my mom just said, and I understand, but if I go out and get a different go-kart, what's to say the same won't happen? At least if I invest in a welder and some other tools, I will have them for future uses. And I KNOW that there are going to be PLENTY of personal projects in the future that will involve some sort of machining/fabrication...it's just a matter of time.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymc2286 View Post
I have a bender like that one. If you look on youtube you will find some mods you can do to it to make it work better. The welder will make a good start. I'm not sure about the cutoff. I think I would go with one of the 4 1/2 inch angle grinders with some cutoff blades and grinding wheels.
Check with your dad and see how much room he is willing to give up for your tools. You can get real creative when it comes to storing hand tools in a small area. To do anything right you have to have the tools.

Jimmy
And why NOT go with a blade that is sitting on the desk? I know that the cutoff wheels are more mobile and you can use them in a few more places, but is there a specific benefit to having one (besides price)?
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Supporting Vendor

I would like to add one thing to my last comment when I stated that ASW had discontinued the Zircon due to reliability problems. sometime in 2011 the Helix was replaced with the Zircon but was no longer imported in 2012. They did bring it back recently new and improved and larger. Don't know if they are building it here or not.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Lurker

Quote:
And why NOT go with a blade that is sitting on the desk? I know that the cutoff wheels are more mobile and you can use them in a few more places, but is there a specific benefit to having one (besides price)?
There is nothing wrong with the chop saw. They just cost more, and you will find that the angle grinder will get used more. Over time you will get both. Just starting out, if money is tight I would get the angle grinder first and add the chop saw as the money comes available. I use my angle grinder everyday that I am in my shop, I don't my chop saw.
Just in case you don't know, the angle grinders are a multi tool. You can get cutoff wheels, abrasive wheels, fine polishing wheels, flapping wheels for scale and rust removal. Very handy to have around.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:02 PM

They even make a chain saw wheel for wood. Here is a thread on my discovery of an angle grinder.

http://buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4499
Old 11-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Heavy Contributor

Interesting. Well, my parents immediately shot down the idea of buying a welder, etc etc. So...I'm back to the bolt on business. And I can PROMISE YOU that if I'm stuck with bolt ons, I'm not keeping this thing. Off to look at more used karts! oh well...
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Lurker

I am very sorry if my suggestion went against your parents wishes. They know what is best far better than I. All will work out. It always does.
Enjoy your new kart. It will be less work this way.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Heavy Contributor

LOL, Jimmy! Don't be sorry! I liked it too, but I understand what they are saying. So now my options are find a new one, or look for a practically new, but technically used Trailmaster, ASW, or HH. Ugh. Not too many of those around here. I'll keep a wary eye out to look at some prices.

Thnx for the suggestions everyone!
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Supporting Vendor

Hang in there. The best deals come to those with the most patients.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Hang in there. The best deals come to those with the most patients.
Do you mean "patience" or the doctors? Because I hear the doctors get deals on the meds they prescribe! (ugh that was a painful joke...)

I'll just wait now.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Supporting Vendor

Old 11-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

So far, I have learned that as a teenager, my moods and ideas tend to change really quickly. Like from "Lets ditch the Yerf. Leave it and all it's problems alone and go but a second hand Tomberline Punisher or a Trailmaster 150XRS, and on the other hand (typically this happens once I see a rebuild thread on this thing) I want to completely strip it and rebuild from the ground up. Ugh. Maybe I can try to find a way to have a local weld shop reinforce/fabricate stuff and I do all the bolt ons...
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyyEdx_we4
You can always build it up to this bad boy.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SlickNick View Post
The GY6 is putting out plenty of power for me, but I get what you mean! Now that my budget had increased considerably, mods don't seem THAT expensive! LOL
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 AM

Nothing like making it yours. Buggies, cars, computers, and women will come and go. Your tools will always be at your side.
Once you are done with your science project. You might as well start a winter project.
Disassemble it and start rebuilding it from the frame up. IE: inspect/treat rust and frame cracks defects, lube, tighten to spec all parts, replace/inspect all seals, and just make sure sure when spring is here that you are ready to ride. That way you know everything is in tip top shape and all you have to do is general maintenance.
Always clean and lube your buggy after each ride to ensure longevity.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Power User

Quote:
Do you mean "patience" or the doctors? Because I hear the doctors get deals on the meds they prescribe! (ugh that was a painful joke...)

I'll just wait now.
No, they get kickbacks from the pharmacorps for hooking people on junk

now, go back to my first post to you on this matter and find an old school shop that will get you an elbow greased monkey wrenchin' edumacashun!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Heavy Contributor

HaHa, X-bird! It seems as though my parents are leaning more towards the keep it side as long as I put reverse on it (my dad's request). I'll look around. There are two welding shops in the area. When I called one, the guy fit your description loosely (LOL) and the other one's phone number didn't work. And sadly, nick, my parents don't want me buying tools cuz "What if you mess something up? We'll have to pay a lot to fix it." So yea. -_-

But I agree, once I get done with science fair, I can just disassemble and start a winter project.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SlickNick View Post
I have seen that buggy before, he is in south FL. The original builder/author is here. Personally, I don't like the way he did the mods, but he built his for a specific reason, and that is MUD. I prefer trail riding myself. I did, however, study his build and gain perspective as to what can be done with these frames, and also made mental notes about how he did his engine swap. The engine is from a Yammy warrior 350, nice engine, but slow for the displacement, compared to others quads in its class.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 PM

I first thought he was in Loxatchee where I lived.
All my South Florida friends I ride/rode with would have loved it. I am like you; I prefer trail riding.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Heavy Contributor

In the very little riding I have done, I am goin to agree. Trail riding seems to be better than mudding. At least on a trail you are going somewhere (even if its just one massive loop). But I can see how mudding will get funny if you get It on EVERYTHING.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 PM

I used to buy into the muddin' thing back in my HS days. The object was to take something that is not designed to go in the mud, and take it through the worst part of a mud hole without getting stuck. My weapon of choice was a 2wd ranger with LSD rear end and decent tires on the rear. I sunk it several times, smoked the clutch a time or two, submerged it down till the bed was under water, and I could go on. I never got stuck, just 'delayed' until dumb friends jumped in the bed and helped us out. The toll on the vehicles involved is massive, immediate effects are cleaning, rebalancing tires, and changing fluids. Long term gets real expensive.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Heavy Contributor

WOW! But that's also REALLY difficult mudding! I was gonna ask how you get a Ranger so deep in the mud that the bed was underwater, but then I realize you live in Florida

I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale...so I know.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 AM

Ft. Lauderdale yeah!!!
I was born and raised there. I moved out 5 years ago. Was just there visiting last week.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Power User

on the mudder yerf, there's also a picture folder he posted here about a year or so ago, (member name is timb iirc) i think he was also working on a 750 yerf project
Old 11-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Heavy Contributor

x-bird, yea that sounds familiar...

And 2SlickNick, I grew up in Coral Springs. you?
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM

I grew up in North Lauderdale and also margate. After that moved to West Palm Beach.
I use to ride my bicycle many times to Coral springs mall from N.L.
Small world....
Old 11-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Heavy Contributor

Haha! Funny.

So, I took the kart out along a small small small small (lol) trail behind the house to chop some firewood with my dad, and in doing so, I found out...

A) My tires all have slow leaks

B) My tie rods are BENT!

C) My ball joints need replacing SO BAD that I am able to turn the driver side front wheel so far inward, it touches the bulkhead...

So...not a good sign! And the issue is, after kinda sorta ripping up the grass on 5 pre-trials and 1 trial (about 20laps around the yard each), my dad won't let me on the yard. So for the 5 remaining trials I have, I need to rent a trailer and find a place that has smooth asphalt. More money spent that I don't have. I also need some new aforementioned tie rods, ball joints, wheels, tires, etc. I only have 90 bucks to spend now. I am doing an eBay selling thing that should earn me a good chunk of change for the holidays, but for now....it's waiting.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:52 PM

http://www.greatpowersports.com/150c...0go%20kart.htm
I called and they have these in stock

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 11-21-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:18 PM

http://www.saferwholesale.com/150cc-...ss-go-kart.htm

sorry I just called again and that's there old website heres there new website
Old 11-21-2013, 06:27 PM

http://www.saferwholesale.com/150cc-...cart%20gen.htm

after I called and said what price I saw on there old website look at this now very akward they have 2 different prices
Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Heavy Contributor

I didn't realize they were a legitimate site? I'm almost 100% sure I'm sticking with the yerf, but in no way am I gonna get a single seater. Nuuh uh.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:56 PM

gotcha so u want a 2 seater
Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Heavy Contributor

Yep, but the yerf just needs reinforcements, new parts, paint and reverse. Is safer wholesale (or whatever its called) a legitimate site? Or are they another scammer that takes your money, gives you a crap kart and doesn't give you service after sale?
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Supporting Vendor

So what engine is in it? Certainly not a GY6 since they are variable and not 2 speed, and it has a kickstart.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:18 PM

it says 150cc and i asked for more pics and the salesman avoided giving me more pics, he just wasn't helpful
Old 11-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Heavy Contributor

WARNING WARNING!!! SCAM SCAM!!!

Whenever that stuff happens, my sirens go off... Sorry about that.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!