BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 07-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Howitt 150cc air filter

Anyone know where I can buy a cheaper version of a UNI air filter for my engine like around 20 bucks?. Also, could I use/ mount it higher/ the stock air filter and box for the intake air flow, on the torque converter/ if I remove the oil lines? Finally,, what do I do with the oil lines from the old box, when I add just a regular air filter?
Thank You
Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Lite Contributor

Is this a real forum,with real people or am I getting punk'ed by Ashton Kutcher?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:41 PM

Haha yes. This is a real forum, with real people. Believe it or not, I am a real person, and I'm not Ashton Kutcher. That aside, I'm not sure where to get a cheap air filter that's compatible with a Uni, and for that oil line, I just zip tied a piece of cloth to the end of it and tied it to the frame.

Mods:
Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch
FMF Slip-On Exhaust
No Rev. CDI
Uni Air Filter
130 Main jet
1500 RPM main clutch spring
11g sliders
75w Halogen Headlights

CARBIDE!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks I haven't looked yet I been laid up with blisters on my stump. Ever get those? LMAO, No not that, I'm missin my left foot. I wanna get out and do sumthin but it's hard.Got hit by a drunk driver on my Harley at age 21,in 1981, had it reattached then, amputated in 2000, I'm now 50 you do the math I don't want to. LOL I ben readin ain't there like 3 or 4 oil lines goin to the stock breather? I guess I just need to know the intake O.D in inches, on the carb so I can rig sumthin up. Thanks Mike

Last edited by gunluvinfull; 07-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about the injury- Man you're old!!!! Intake O.D. 1-11/16". Just put this stock Honda ATV filter on ours because a grinding spark hit the Uni-filter and whoosh!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yerdog aircleaner 1.jpg (30.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Yerfdog aircleaner 2.jpg (31.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Lite Contributor

LOL Ok Thank You I am lookin around for sumthin. I'll know when I find it.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Lite Contributor

Yes I am sure a grinding spark don't mix well with foam soaked in oil if I remeber right from my factory days. LOL Thanks for all yer help studman. You seem to be the only person on here who actually replies to people. Oh and nice to meet you Josh Thank You.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Lite Contributor

Also, Could I use the old stock breather box, rigging it up high, for a breather on the torque converter intake? Removing the oil lines first of course.!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Cheap Mods

You know it's not always those with unlimited toy funding that do all the mods. It's the cheap ingenuity that are usually the best ones. Not everyone on here is a suspension engineer or machinist/welder. We are all trying to outsmart the idiots who built these things for what ever purpose you have. My son can tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet. I'm just trying to idiot proof what he tears up. Like one of my bosses told me once at work, you sure are good at fixing tore up stuff so you must have tore up a lot of stuff. He really didn't say it that way but this is a "G" rated web site. Remember it was amateurs who built the Ark and professionals who built the Titanic.

Last edited by jetboy300; 07-09-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

cheap mods-
Old 07-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Lite Contributor

Never looked at it that way nice to meet you Jetboy that is true. I guess I don't need alot of money but I have been a Plastic Machine supervisor/mechanic most of my life. There really is nothing I can't fix when I put my mind to it. Just I never owned a buggy I have always wanted one for a long long time. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Lite Contributor

i'm an old fart too but what I did when I put on the UNI filter is I used a hachsaw and cut the oil box off the stock breather and you still have the bolt hole and nut on it so it will reattach to the motor but I didn't run a vacumm line from the intake, then i got it from someone else, just to put fuel filter on the end of the line comoing out of the gear box. There are some good upgrade vidios on kidnme garage.com. Nice meeting you
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Lite Contributor

Nice meeting you also.speaking of ingenuity. I figured out a pump housing from a dishwasher can be used for alot of things. I am building an air flow intake for my torque converter. I removed the guts and impeller. I kept the screen. I am mounting it in between the seats up high, with the housing intake facing forward. I am running a 12 volt pentium 4 cooling fan on the intake with a filter on it since it will be mounted up high with unobstructed air flow it will be away from all the mud and debris and stuff. It will blow air into the converter intake which also has an impeller of it's own, so this will increase air flow to the converter, possibly doubling the the air flow. I am going to run a seperate switch to turn it on and off whenever I want. I think I may also do the same with my carb intake and run a round type of filter on that.Also this flange inlet will give me many different option to adapt any air filter I want to put in it.
pump1.jpg

Last edited by gunluvinfull; 07-08-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

By the way- did you find that handgun or somethin you were looking for on post #6? I like the impeller idea- We haven't had an over heating issue with the CVT or ever had to change a belt.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Lite Contributor

what handgun you talkin about? I don't recall? post #6?

I haven't had an overheating issue with mine either, but I figure the cooler the better on most anything mecanical that takes friction. I have noticed they like to run pretty hot.
Haven't figured out the handgun thing yet clue me in!!! You mean to shoot the dang thang with? LOL
Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Well I figured you didn't like my "Man you're old" comment- so you went looking for something to let me know it wasn't that funny.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Lite Contributor

No No I was talkin about an air filter, finding something when I see it to rig up for the DOG. Not you. I didn't even pay it no mind. Still thinki about using a dishwasher pump housing and a 12 volt computer fan for that carb intake also. the flanges on that pump housing make it pretty unlimited as to what I can rig up on it.I know I am getting old. LOL

Last edited by gunluvinfull; 07-08-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Blowers?

A couple of months ago the guys from Hot Rod magazine put two gas powered leaf blowers on a Corvette engine. Cheap turbo!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Heavy Contributor

forced air into the cvt taint a bad idea at all! Especially at lower trail speeds while there is no or little air flowing by the case. Any idea of what kind of amp draw it takes? I've been considering replacing my dishwasher. This may be the incentive.
While on the heat subject, I have been messin with oil coolers lately. This is another area where motor temps can be reduced. A small fan within a shroud on the cooler would increase efficiency dramatically. A computer fan is the perfect size but I have no idea if the power requirements are compatible. Any insite into using a computer fan? could it be wired in without burning it up??
Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Fans?

Would a small oil cooler fan just blowing across the engine be of any help? How do you wire a computer fan into a 12 volt system?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Lite Contributor

computers run on + or- 5 volts and + or minus 12 volts thus a 1 =1 volt, a -1 equals o volts, same with 12 plus or minus voltage is either negative or positive which= 1 being on and 0 or minus being off. = on or off to a computer. all pc's well maybe not all but all most all home computer fans are 12 volts dc and run off the main power supply. yes you can even use a car radiator fan, a small one to help keep the engine cooler, blowing right on it it helps air cool. yes I also am gonna run a small car fan blowing on the engine. my engine isn't tapped at the bottom for an oil cooler so i am doin the next best thing. compter fans are 12 volt dc will hook right in virtually like no amps, not even a problem there.
I am also going to get a bigger battery and hook my 12v-dc to 110vac power inverter up. I an going to run one of those 150 watt halogen work lights off of it, put a switch on it and have it, in case I need it. also can hook up the coffee pot while out camping, or the tv or laptop too!!!!! even the home stereo . LOL should be pretty tricked out when I get er dun.

Last edited by gunluvinfull; 07-09-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Lite Contributor

now how are you planning to rig up that computer fan. Do you think that you could mount somewhere between the seats and maybe duct it down with maybe a dryer hose?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Lite Contributor

I was thinking the 3" vent tubing from like a furnace maybe could use a dryer vent itself for the scoop. I'm not gonna hillbilly it if that's what ya mean? I think I'm gonna go with maybe even 2" pvc with a downspout adaptor, and mount it in the front up between the seats is where I plan on putting it, so it gets free air flow. With the pvc I can 45 it, elbow it, 90 it, whatever. Heck could use downspout even for that matter. Rivet it all together nice. It will also look professional when I get done not like sumthin Red Green made ya know? LMAO I went out today just now to put gear oil in. well i took the top plug out,started putting the oil in and it ran onto the groind. You guessed it drain plug totally gone. That is prolly why the guys when I bought it were laughing as I drove away. I only drove it hour or 2 so far hope I didn't do any damage. I noticed it was whining but I thought it was the torque converter ya know?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Lite Contributor

I gotta go for ear surgery on the 18th and probably going to have to get a new leg built next month and the break in period for a new leg sucks. usually takes me 2 months to get it right. I have had 9 legs in 11 yrs. the dr. cut my foot off to short and it didn't shrink up for 3 yrs so I couldn't sue his a^^^. I will be laid up a while longer. I have an associate's degree in Computer science and have been building them from scratch since the IBM 8088 days. I been retired since 2005 though.

Last edited by gunluvinfull; 07-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Lite Contributor

I have a good question. In the back where the gear oil goes in there is a screw to put it in. Right underneath that is where it comes out. Now by the engine serial numbers is a side drain plug, right? then under the main oil dipstick is a drain plug. why are there 3 drain plugs? I have the owners manual downloaded but it is black and white pics that look copied 50 times.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Heavy Contributor

The screw in the back is a drain for the trans oil only. the tranny is a seperate self contained unit. uses a different type of oil (90 weight grear oil) The drain under the serial # drains motor oil from the case. The large drain plug under the dipstick is access to the oil filter screen.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Lite Contributor

I put 90-140 weight in the gearbox till it came out the top hole, will that be ok? So all the plug under the dipstick is the magnet and filter right? ok I gotcha and Thank You very much for your help. I wish the manual was better quality it shows the plugs and all that.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Lite Contributor

I was just looking at a spare drier duct elbow I have being I just had to replace mine and the fan would be perfect behind, inside the round part. I believe one of those downspout adapters that turns it into an adapter for the 4" corrugated flex pipe may be perfect. then use aluminum downspout with a rubber adapter to the front of the converter would work perfectly. The fan will fit right in the 4" round part of the adapter then it would bring it down to downspout size. I think I am gonna run with that idea.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Lite Contributor

Default check this out

A P4 fan and heat sink from the cpu. The fan has it's own shroud and I am gonna figure a way to mount the heat sink on the top of the head cover for even more air cooling. The fan is .o4 watts and.68 amps. It measures 4"x4" and is 12v dc.

S6304236.jpg

S6304237.jpg

S6304238.jpg

S6304239.jpg

you can run it/test it on a 9 volt battery if ya want, but that won't push it very hard. the heat sink is 3.5"x 3.5".
Old 07-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Lite Contributor

Default believe it or not

The drier vent fits perfectly into the case on the shroud of the fan with no interference like it was made for it LOL

p4vent.jpg
Old 07-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Lite Contributor

Default This will work great

I spead the fins on the aluminum heat sink from the p4 cpu and it will add air cooling to the top of the valve cover. I'm gonna get some heat transferring gel and put it on the bottom then attach it to the top of the valve cover.
S6304241.jpg

S6304243.jpg

Last edited by gunluvinfull; 07-10-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Lite Contributor

Default here is how the fin will look and work I hope

this is how it will look and work once i get it attached to the valve cover head.With some heat transfer gel underneath it it should dissipate quite a bit of heat from the engine.I forgot to add Patent Pending.!!
air fin 1.jpg

airfin2.jpg

Last edited by gunluvinfull; 07-10-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Lite Contributor

So give me some opinions, does this seem like a good idea or what? how about some input good or bad!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Lite Contributor

Are you really having that much trouble with your buggy gettung hot? I ride down here in texas and so for I've not had a problem with the heat. I do like the ideal of using the computer fan just to give it some more cooling when I'm going slow (which is not very often)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Lite Contributor

No no overheating troubles, just like to sit around and think of new ideas. I just like mechanical things to run cool,they last longer, and I have sumthing to do, to keep my mind occupied.thats all. I like to think up new ideas for things. it don't cost anything ya know? tell ya the truth the computer fan really don't have the b**ls and cfm I am looking for for that idea. I need to find a different 12 volt 4 " fan somewhere.

thanks for the reply .
Mike

Last edited by gunluvinfull; 07-12-2011 at 02:43 PM.