BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 05-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Lurker

Default Street Buggy

Lately, I've been considering building a custom buggy for street use. However, since I'm new to the concept and buggies overall, I'm wondering if this is actually something worth while. I have a general idea of what i want to put together, but browsing a few sites for parts and such, I keep coming to parts of kids or overly eccentric setups that don't come close. I'm starting to wonder if it's better for me to buy an already built kart and have that customized the way I want it, or would I be saving myself money by taking more time and building?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Give us an idea of your concept, size, capacity, performance. Do you actually have a street that you can drive it on without stressing the police and other motorists?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Lurker

County Police have already given me the requirements I'd have to meet in order to have it on public roads (not including highways.) I'm wanting just a basic 2 seater with possibly a small rack or storage spot on the back. Weight capacity a minimum of 600 lbs easily rider weight (I myself weigh around 250.) I prefer a 5 speed transmission, and I'm not too picky about the engine (I won't be using this for racing or anything too high performace.) The requirements I have to meet to have it on the road are actually pretty simple; headlights taillights, turn signals, horn, and seatbelts.

Last edited by bambamm89; 05-25-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Well it sounds like you need to find a utility type ATV motor- Your preference whether it has a clutch but auto or semi-auto is easiest and with that type of motor you'll have reverse.I think the simplest way to go would be find a Crossfire,Baja 150 or Punisher chassis- The're solid and have good size cockpit,good suspension,have rear rack and the weight capacity you need. look at my thread http://buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602 and see if this is anything close to your concept.
Your concept actually sounds like a typical UTV- Golf cart on steriods!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Lurker

That sounds pretty close. How would I know which type of engine to choose without going overboard though? I don't want to get something with too much horsepower that makes the kart too much to handle, but at the same time, I don't want to be stuck going a maximum of 35mph uphill.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Any utility ATV engine 250cc and over is plenty.The fact that you have a tranny will ensure power when needed-even uphill!! The only thing the motors probably won't have in the wiring harness is turn signals.