BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Power User

Default OK ... Too quiet .. gauntlet get's tossed!

Wish I could be adding to the fun with a new build thread, but I am tapped out time-wise .... so I offer a challenge ... someone strap a leafblower to their 150 as a supercharger I soooo wanna try it and have a spare one. I think it could actually work, if you get jet the carb big enough and work the chamber to reduce compression so it doesn't blow its top.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM

Default 2 taps

Heck Xman I'm tapped both ways! working some rediculous hours right now & holiday broke too! I'm gonna have to sneak & get the new valve for my head on my other 150 w/o the mrs. finding out or I'll be scratchin' fleas!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Heavy Contributor

You would need some way to regulate the voltage along with rpm so youre not full blast all the time. I; like you, think that with a bit of experimentation this could work.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

@ bear. Uuuuuhhhhh i don't man..... My wifes kinda funny and all.......i know....... Now you funny too. Move it on over.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Power User

i'm talking about a 2 cycle gas leaf blower,

(link to the ones i buy for work http://www.stihlusa.com/products/blo...blowers/bg66l/ )

Rig its throttle to the gas pedal, connect the blower output via reducer tube directly into the carb. air filter on the intake side of the blower (i have an old echo leaf mulcher type with the big rigid vacuum tube that hooks to the input side of the impeller. ---that got me thinking about this) it'd be real easy to put a filter on that.

Matter of fact, since mine's down until i can afford to rebuild the rear shocks i think i may test this a bit. seal a blower to one of the spare carbs i have and put some color water through it to see what it actually does to the mix (shoot it onto paper)

follow that with putting the buggy on stands and sealing it to the carb for a few actual running tests. be one noisy buggy ... definitely would need some comp ratio reduction and likely an exhaust side hog-out

418 cfm @143 mph--wonder what happens if the tube's off???

anyone know what a 150's carb draws volume/velocity wise???

spacer for the head ..

shrink's appt. for the other head ...

Last edited by x-bird; 01-09-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 AM

Default Its ALIVE!!!!

Thats what I like about this sight most, ALL KINDS OF MAD MECHANICAL MANIACS!!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Heavy Contributor

I found 1 reference to a 24mm flowing at around 100 cfm. No idea how reliable this is. But when I remember back to my old holly 600cfm 4bbl carb and the size of its venturies i see this as a reasonable estimate. If I had an extra engine and a well stocked shop I would certainly give this a try. Im rooting for you. GOOOO TEAM.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Heavy Contributor

If this works people all over will be saying. WOW that thing really blows!!!!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Heavy Contributor

One idea to get to the correct amount of air is split the air output and route some thru the carb and the rest into the cooling fan to keep her cool. Have a splitter valve of some sort so you can adjust how much flow goes to each side until you get the right amount and then secure it in place.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Power User

I was thinking along those same lines--exhaust or stovepipe style dump valve in the middle of the blower tube. i have an old pontiac choke valve still in a log manifold that would do the trick nicely--isn't too rusty either, which is pretty rare for that piece. the entire run, no matter what rate it's set at would have to be sealed--as soon as it's got a port in the tract to atmospheric pressure, it isn't going to work nearly as well if at all. Definitely would have to add a tach. I have a "standard" 4-bolt gy6 or the sym engine. since i can't get decent valve springs/cam for the sym, i may do this with the 4-bolt engine, which is just gathering dust. stick some spacers under the jug to cut the compression ratio, cam and carb are really the two items that make this difficult. Still think one could build a really screamer doing this. Plenty of you tube vids of people sticking leaf blowers in their car intakes on the dyno and getting significant gains without changing anything. of course nearly everyone of them killed the engine because of valvetrain/rev issues and inadequate fuel.

Last edited by x-bird; 01-10-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM

I was going to suggest getting a different carb from the start, might look at some of the kart racing carbs? The issue is, getting the timing right on the blower throttle along with the main throttle might be more headaches than you want, I was thinking some sort of cam setup, but as no one has done this before, you might be hard pressed to find something that works. I'm not sure about you guys' carbs, but I know mine is not a down draft style, so it definitely wont work. I think for the time being, stick with the stock cam, once you finally get it working, then find your flat spots and order from there, and you might want to toss the idea around of adding some length to the intake to straighten out some of the turbulence. Of course high flow valves and bigger springs are a must, a 4 valve head would benefit the most from a 'huffer'.

I know you all are mad raving lunatics about power, as am I, but wouldn't a methanol conversion cost a lot less and yield more bang for the buck? I want to see some NOS on here too, I'm just saying, lol.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Power User

hell, I doubt i'll ever do this, just brainstorming (and attempting to sucker in) someone else to do it! )) then again, one day when i have the time and need to make something go bang, i just might try it. ))) Agree with you on the carb, needs something pretty rudimentary that can handle the volume. Likewise, on throttle control. an eccentric on the blower cable would be the ticket, developing the profile would take a lot of tweaking. The Sym's a 4-valve, but i don't think it would rev high enough to take advantage of it and in stock form likely wouldn't survive.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:08 AM

I agree these engines would not likely survive anything more than bolt on mods and maybe running methanol, but who knows. I just stumbled on a thread here where a member put a turbo on his GY6, and it didn't perform like he thought. Just not enough displacement I think, to really realize any real hp. An engine swap is more likely to get impressive gains over dumping $$ into a cheesy scooter engine, imho. Doing research for the last month on that area, and found a couple good donor bike engines if you don't mind not having reverse for as much as all the bolt on mods and CVT parts, and you almost triple the HP and have actual gears too!! One of these potential candidates is from a Ninja 250, water cooled, ~35 hp/22 ft.lbs. torque, coupled with a 5 speed gearbox. That adds up to a decent off road machine in the long run, and you know the engine was designed to run for 100k miles from the factory, so quality is not pulled into question.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Power User

Sadly, when i first got into these things, i had a 27hp 750 cc kawasaki V-twin, water cooled, horizontal shaft engine off one of my scag mowers. Got it running and sold it off because at the time there was no way the kart could survive it. Then i built the kart into a true single seater buggy capable of running that hp level. Doh! I have an old 250 quad runner engine (true condition unknown) with reverse i've been thinking about for another buggy build but am having thoughts of using that for what i've built and putting a roketa dual chain drive irs on it. time and $s are the issues right now. The "blower" concept really would need to make its gains from getting the revs way up there (think f1 engines--no real cubes or bottom end torque, it's all way up there in the rev range) It's more the idea of taking a 150 and making it kick ass beyond any level of sensibility that appeals to me.

Last edited by x-bird; 01-11-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:06 AM

I learned a long time ago, there is no replacement for displacement. The quad runner engine would be an excellent choice. I liked MSM's trx200sx swap, mainly because I actually had one for years with the intention of putting on a kart frame, and when I moved a few months ago, I abandoned the project. MEGA DOH!! I am now in search of donor now, air cooled would be simpler, but I think at low speeds it would overheat too much, especially if riding 2 up, like mine will be(for now). Looked at some 500-550cc engine as well, but unsure how/if a kart axle would handle that kind of power for any length of time. It's too bad everyone here thinks their quad engines are made of gold plated platinum, or I would likely already have one and drawing out the swing arm plans, hence why I was looking at smaller bike engines, cause nobody wants a little bike here, so they go for relatively cheap. I got a line on a complete ninja 250 carb to exhaust with all electronics for what seems a good deal, I'm just too much of a haggler to pay the asking price, lmao. I also finally found a quad/bike salvage yard locally that I'm going to check out this weekend, maybe they have something better, who knows.

I would also like to see a fire breathing, tire smoking, 250 eating GY6, but again, they were designed to run at mediocre HP for a long time on a scooter, and that doesn't translate to big power without big investments.