BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 09-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Lurker

Default heim vs HD ball joints

So its time to replace the ball joints on the Yerf...after reading all the posts I don't know which way to go as far as Heim vs HD ball joints since I ride trails. no hills here in SWF. Is the mod to Heims worth it or are the HD ball joints the way to go?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Power User

Done right, i'd say heims are the way to go. if you have the "room" and abilities to relocate/add new shocks and use high misalignment spacers you can free up some arm travel and add front end clearance.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Lurker

thanks X! what did you mean by the "room"? I was told by a friend that because of the terrain I ride that the HD ball joints were better to have. I have been looking at both and looks like both the hd ball joints and heims would run the same costwise so thats what is brining me to ask. I have been looking at a set of 2 heims on ebay for $47, of course I would need 4 so it would be close to $100 with shipping. Hd ball joints are $110 shipped. any prefference on which heims? Thanks for the help!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Heavy Contributor

The BD heavy duty joints are much better than stock but heims are the way to go period! The ride and handling characteristic are so radicaly changed to the better it's like a whole new machine. I have used these from QSC for many years with no failures. I replaced the sets last year only because one felt a little sticky.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-x-1-2-20...84cc94&vxp=mtr
Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Power User

I get mine locally, I pretty much get my pick from the aurora catalog, but I keep it mid-upper grade with teflon linings. you guys wouldn't like me if i told you how many buckets of golf balls they cost. me ;~)

As far as "room", ckau and metalstudman's various build threads show what needs done to increase the travel and clearance on a spiderbox front end. I'm pretty sure the front shock location limits the travel range to near stock levels no matter what you do at the spindle end, these guys know what it takes to maximize them for both travel and durability.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Lurker

looks like I am going to have to figure out how to install heim joints....anybody have and advice before i start? lol
Old 09-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Power User

between metalstudman, ckau, xlint, and several others there's a veritable step-by-step on how to do it in the threads on this forum ...
Old 09-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Contributor

Another vote for the heims, I did the mod to my daughters yerf after seeing ckau's write up and couldn't be happier. It is an inexpensive mod that's easy to do that will yield great results.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
between metalstudman, ckau, xlint, and several others there's a veritable step-by-step on how to do it in the threads on this forum ...
It was T3beatz that did the heims, not me.

I'm actually looking to see if anyone is interested in doing the heim/ball joint conversion for me?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Lurker

Yea....the more I'm looking at it the more I'm not looking forward to it. I wrote a PM to one of the other users to see if he would be interested in building them for me (compensation, parts, and shipping included), but he hasn't been online. I just don't have the welding or fabricating experience to take on a project like this. Wish I did though.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Power User

I'd offer to do the arms/bungs, but right now i don't have the time--maybe around december ....
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaze View Post
So its time to replace the ball joints on the Yerf...after reading all the posts I don't know which way to go as far as Heim vs HD ball joints since I ride trails. no hills here in SWF. Is the mod to Heims worth it or are the HD ball joints the way to go?
my 2 cents, I did the HD ball joints, now the thin metal that holds them is breaking (multiple times) to the point I'm ready to do the BD upgrade to the thick metal. So if you can do heims, they will probably last longer ( I can't do them either).
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoys View Post
my 2 cents, I did the HD ball joints, now the thin metal that holds them is breaking (multiple times) to the point I'm ready to do the BD upgrade to the thick metal. So if you can do heims, they will probably last longer ( I can't do them either).
that's what I'm thinking will happen if I go with the HD ball joints. Unfortunately, at this point, I don't think I have a choice. My joints are done and I need to make a decision if i want to ride soon. Looks like I an going to have to do the HDs for now and hope they hold until X gets a chance to fabricate or metalstudman gets back online.

BTW.... X, thanks for the offer! I'm looking to take you up on fab! send me a PM and let me know what you are looking to charge so I have a figure.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I actually cut 1/4" plate to fit inside the "pockets" that the ball joints mount to. Then welded them up. Very strong and no issues thus far.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
I actually cut 1/4" plate to fit inside the "pockets" that the ball joints mount to. Then welded them up. Very strong and no issues thus far.
Interesting idea, I was going to take them to a nearby machine shop, maybe that is a quick way to fix them... I "splatter" weld, I cant run a bead.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Power User

Quote:
Interesting idea, I was going to take them to a nearby machine shop, maybe that is a quick way to fix them... I "splatter" weld, I cant run a bead.
Are you using flux core or a mig setup with gas?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
Are you using flux core or a mig setup with gas?
can't afford mig with gas ! using the cheap Hobart 125 wire/flux core. I just need lots of practice, never take the time to learn right. When I see a nice bead I'm impressed !
Old 10-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Lurker

I'm thinking I am going to have to invest in a welder and learn how to weld. hmmm better check up on my insurance policy. lol