BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 AM
Lurker

Default <<<New Guy/Custom Build>>>

Hey everyone. I was given a Yerf Dog cart frame about two years ago from one of the scrap yards i work for. Well one thing turned into another and 250+ hours later this is what turned up. Some of these pics are old but I have put her on the road to tune the clutches and work out the bugs. I have painted her black during final assembly but still undecided on gravity fed or pump fed carb thus the lack of gas tank. Take a look at my album and feel free to ask"Why, how and what is it"! Thanks for looking.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 AM
Power User

I wonder how many people 30 and under know what a Scamp was?
Nice work, very well put together. I'm curious as to what drive ratio you're getting out of the golf cart rear. looks like it's from a club car?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome-Nice build!!! you must have access to a machine shop!! that's a lot of custom milled aluminum parts. You've made a #3203 look totally different!!!! I love the 70's mopar emblem. How wide is that rear end hub to hub? I'm also curious about your gearing too- as the engine appears to have a gear reduction drive on it. Does the differential have a reverse? Also- did you put a square tube the length of the frame?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Lurker

Thanks guys...it has lost all of its "wonder" with my wife!
The final drive ratio is 12.17:1 ( no reverse...just limited slip!) and there is no gear reduction on the 8hp briggs though it looks like it now that you have mentioned it.
Hub to hub rear diff measurement is approx 3'4" and i have stretched the wheelbase only 2 inches. The frame has been reinforced with an alum c channel down both sides and across the rear where the swing hinges connect. All machine work done myself excluding the machining of the clutches to engine and rear diff. My machinist is responsible for the die cutting of the original Levi jeans buttons!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
Welcome-Nice build!!! ... I'm also curious about your gearing too- as the engine appears to have a gear reduction drive on it.
That's a more modern version of the Dana rear used in golf carts now, split in half cases vs solid with a cover. Where he has the belt going is a splined shaft where the electric motor attaches, a little bit has been cut away to clear the belt. thought of going this route myself, but mine had a couple bad gearshaft bearings and i had no idea which way the final gear ratio would go. so i just lopped the transmission portion of it off with the sawzall ...

if you ever want to get rid of the open working of the diff, it's not that hard to weld up the spider gears in it. --based on the fact i see stock golf cart tires though i take it you use this more for pavement or pretty smooth hardpack riding?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Lurker

Also had to "spin the housing" upward via turning the axle tubes about 12 degree to get it all to fit back there. It is from a Club Car...the steering rack from said cart was also used tucked away up front and the rear had drum brakes on both sides...itll go go go but it also throw you through the make believe windshield Right now it is sort of set up for street but a set of tires would fix that in a heart beat. OFF ROAD SCAMPIN'!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry your wife does see the beauty anymore!!! Are you going to put a roll cage back on it? I love the front end ,dual A-arm mod. with all the aluminum parts-very high-tech/precision looking. With 12.17 to 1 ratio it'll climb anything it can get traction on & snap your neck!!!. I understand the maching involved in using the variator and clutch parts for an industrial type engine, it's sad that some manufacturer hasn't made this as an alternative fitting set-up.