BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 07-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Lurker

Default 250 street bike engine, wtb

I'm looking to upgrade from the 6.5hp 196cc Subaru to a 250 engine from a honda/Kawasaki etc street bike engine. I've seen a lot of 650's and 750's but I think that's too much for my manco 606. Been looking on craigslist. Are there any tips that I might need to know? I'm not really experienced with fabricating but I know a little and I have my dad to help. But if you can think of any tips or advice I would much appreciate it! Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Take a look at: http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602 just to give you an idea- same principle for a standard chain drive.Most street bike engines won't allow the chain to go downward enough to get on the axle sprocket in a short space- so you either have to provide a jackshaft that moves the chain over to go down,chain roller/tensioner to redirect the chain downward(not what I'd do) or length in front of the axle sprocket by lengthening the swingarm. Looking at pics of that kart/buggy the rack or tube above the engine looks like it'll be in conflict with a taller engine too.You can save yourself some fab. time by finding an automatic clutch- I recall a few with some decent power, just a thought!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Lurker

Oh yeah I hadn't thought of that. But to me it would be worth some extra work for a manual clutch because it would be worth the fun of having a true manual. I was also considering a trike/four wheeler engine. They would probably be easier to find maintain but not as much power. it depends on what I can find mostly
Old 07-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

I have another piece I made that resolves the chain direction issue. I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow, just for alternative ideas. I'm all for the ATV engine scenerio-You can have reverse!!!.You can go with air cooled so no radiator to configure.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Lurker

I know! I was thinking the same thing about that, so it would be more on my level of skill too. And cheaper. Hmm...
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Here's another solution for the chain drive angle correction. Took the engine drive sprocket and welded it on a shaft that fits a pillow bearing, now you just add another sprocket on the shaft that will let the chain go anywhere, even go forward if needed that clears the motor in close quarters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jackshaft 2.jpg (36.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg jackshaft 2 (1).jpg (33.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Lurker

Is that kinda like the jackstaff solution?

Edit: jackshaft*

Last edited by ANoLEN; 07-21-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

That's another type jackshaft needing only 1 bearing and only 1 chain (un-proven design)- normally you'd take a chain from the engine rearward to a jackshaft that has 2 sprockets on it- then you'd have a second chain from the jackshaft down to the axle sprocket with a bearing at both ends of the jackshaft.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Lurker

Oh gotchya. Well if I can find the motor I want, and afford it then it will definantly happen and I'll post a ton of pictures I'm sure
Old 07-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck-
Old 07-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Lurker

i think the jack shaft is the best way the factory setup would work just take the belt drive off and replace it with a chain sprocket