BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Lurker

Default SunL SLU_6K UTV reverse cable help

Hi,
First post so...bear with me. I have a 2007 SunL that I believe to be a SLU-6K 250cc model. It looks like this one-

http://www.motosportsparts.com/s.nl/...ategory.687/.f

It has reverse and the guy has replaced 3 cables to date, he brought me a new cable and it appears to be about an 1"-1 1/2" short. I can find no info on installation so.........
I hooked it up at the reverser first and the inner cable does not stick out far enough to hook to the lever. It doesn't look to me as if it needs a pre load on it. Can any one steer me in the right direction ? Thanks in advance
Old 12-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Power User

i looked on that site and it shows the reverse cable as out of stock.
Do you have the original with correct length?
What's shown looks to have quite the funky ends on both sides. if you have those parts and know the correct housing and cable length, you can probably get one made up.
OR
If the shorter replacements have the correct ends, you might be able to get them to work by re-routing the cable through a shorter run and moving the cable housing stop lug closer to the lever.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Lurker

Thanks for your help. I do not have the original cable to go by. The owner had replaced two other cables and he said he trimmed the housing back to get them to fit, which I am not keen on doing. If I knew how much longer the inner cable was supposed to be I'd get one made but I have no base to go by at this time. I was hoping someone here could measure OR knew. Thanks again
Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Power User

Can you post some pictures of the ends of what you have? My suggestion at this point will be to install one of the ends and try routing the cable and moving the lever, then measure how much you're off by. After that, i think if you call Lokar directly, you may be able to have them make you a replacement or send you a universal kit of the correct cable and housing diameter and length. It really depends on the ends and whether they can be worked with or not.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Lurker

Thanks I'll get some pics up. FWIW the cable ends aren't anything different just a ball end (6mm ball on 2mm cable) I can get one made local I think but need to know how much extra I'll need. How much travel does it take for the reverser to engage? As it sits I'm about 25mm short of the inner cable being flush with cable housing when installed to the reverser, so I feel I'll need that much more + to reach the lever bracket. I have adjusters on both ends of the cable so I can live with a bit long. I certainly appreciate your time. BTW who/what is Lokar? Thanks again
Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Power User

Lokar is a company that makes shifters, cables etc for the automotive aftermarket. excellent, precision-made in the usa product.
http://lokar.com/about.html
Old 03-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Lurker

I have this exact same critter, the Reverse cable is way too small diameter for the pressure it takes to shift it.
Heres what i did after the second reverse cable broke,may not be for you, but worked awsome.
I unhooked the emergency brake cable from the rear caliper,it had a Barrel type end instead of a Ball end, but the cable was 3 times heavier,i used a small 4" elect grinder, turned it on, locked the trigger so grinder was running upside down.pair of gloves on(cable gets hot, and slowly grind the barrel end till its round instead.Its slid thru the reverse adjuster end perfect, and i just left the other end hooked to the emergency handle that i never ever used.Works wonderfully, and shifts in and out of reverse like never before,took maybe 20 mins tops, and no wait for parts,lol...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0473.jpg (100.2 KB, 7 views)