BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Hammerhead 250ss Idle Problem

Just bought a new 250ss before Christmas. So far I am very happy with the purchase. The only thing I am having a problem with is the idle speed. When I start the buggy, it will idle for a while, but then will stall. I have adjusted the idle screw up, but eventually it will stall. Sometimes after it stalls and I restart, the engine will then idle very high. Last time out I noticed a little hesitation on acceleration. Seems like it should be a minor adjustment, but I do not know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Heavy Contributor

Have the dealer clean the pilot jet and fuel enrichment circuit. If that does not help, you may have an intake leak between the carburetor and engine or a blocked gas tank vent.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:53 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks GX150 I will give the dealer a call.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Heavy Contributor

Let us know how well the dealer treats you. People are quick to complain but seldom take the time to tell the good experiences.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Supporting Vendor

Where are you located and what are the temps ?

Tom
Old 01-21-2011, 04:59 AM
Lite Contributor

Northern Maryland. Temps during riding have ranged from 30 to 40 degrees.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Supporting Vendor

I asked the question because it is common for you to have to restart on a cold engine a few times. In other words if it starts than dies you restart it. As long as it keeps running after 2 or 3 tries. If it doesn't keep running after the third try then Iwould look for possible trash in carb like GX150 has said. The higher idle is normal as long as it idles down after 1 minute or so. The GY6 and cn/cf-250 engines are proving to be more and more difficult to pass the epa requirements needed for importation into this country. The jetting has been leaned out to get these engines to pass. Without being there to witness in person I cannot be 100% sure but from what you had posted it sounds normal. If this problem persists after engine is at operating temp then I would suspect a problem.

Tom
Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks Tom. I will keep an eye the issue. It is going to be very cold here this week so I don't know how much riding time we will get.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Supporting Vendor

How has the buggy been performing. Do you still have problems?

Tom
Old 02-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Lite Contributor

Have not had much of a chance to ride. It has been cold and we have about a foot of snow on the ground. The little bit we have been able to ride, I have let the buggy warm up for at least 5 minutes before we take off. Idle speed still seems to flucuate up. After the warm up, once we start riding, the engine will stall a few times after you let off the accelerator. Yesterday, it was a little warmer here (low 40's) and it seemed to run better.