BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 01-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Imaginative trial and error

I am wanting to replace the gy6 on my 4209 with an atv engine. In doing so I do not want to use the factory swing arm. I just want to take the factory swing arm off and replace it with a fabricated swing arm made up of some welding attatchments, coupled with an atv rear end, frame, and rear end with the factory atv engine set up. I simply want to take the atv, do a little bit of fabricating, and bolt it to the cockpit and roll cage of the yerf. I know this is rudimentary in using windows paint but this is my idea. I am currently looking for the perfect atv to use, but I wanted to use some of your fab experience of trial and error to show me if it will work or not. I think the diagram is childish, but self explanitory. Let your creative juices start working and let me know if you think this will work or if I am dreaming of a buggy that will never be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trial and error.jpg (16.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Power User

With a grinder and mig all things are possible .....
one thing to think about would be to consider extending the frame rearward and having the engine mounted to the rigid extension and use cv joints for drive and have an IRS setup. I think there are existing atv designs out there with 90 percent of the parts to do this with.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Lite Contributor

I'm sure you can get this to work with a little planning. The ATV set-up has the engine in a fixed location just ahead of the swing arm, using some type of chain tensioner to keep the excess slack out of the chain. I'm thinking about quads like the Honda 300ex, Yamaha Banshee, Blaster, most any sport/utility type set-up. While some of the buggies you see on the forum have the engine mounted on the swing arm assembly, my personal preference is to keep as much weight off of the moving suspension parts as possible. It makes for more responsive suspension action for less dollars plus, I think there are benefits for not having the engine bouncing along with the rear suspension. You may be able to solid mount the engine just slightly above the front swing arm pivot, use a jack shaft set-up running the chain down to a point more inline with the swing arm pivot then back to the axle to keep the chain tension/slack more consistent.
I could draw something out if you would think it would help you visualize it. You can probably take a little bit from everyone's input and come up with a great solution.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

It can be done! Your idea is pretty simple and probably thought of by most of us.I have many an ATV chassis here. IMO-Number one issue- the width of the ATV axle. The spiderbox already suffers from "stability" or easy to roll-over.The other issue comes with the added length and trying to figure out how to support all of that with the light weight Spiderbox chassis.These are the reason I haven't used your idea. I'm sure you've looked this up on Youtube- most projects never see the radical horsepower ride invisioned for very long. There are so many factors that change from the ATV platform to the buggy- sitting on top of an axle versus seating off to one side or way in front of the axle and the loads that are generated.I think the easiest conversion would be a motor cycle (rear single tire) set up where the buggy ends up a 3 wheeler when it comes to stability, but then traction becomes the issue. Hopefully someone here has a solution for your dream.