BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Off Topic and Other Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything Goes!

Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 PM

Default Drill Pess

Found this 10" Delta Drill Press for sale on C.L.
The guy who owns his own hot rod shop. Said he bought it several years ago realized it was too small for what he needed and bought a bigger floor model the next day. He said it has less than an hour on it and it has been sitting in the corner collecting dirt and dust.
It does need cleaned, belt is in great shape, and forget to get the chuck key
I got it for $40

After I get it cleaned up I will post a better picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1642[1].jpg (95.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1643[1].jpg (95.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Heavy Contributor

Nice! I'd love on of those, but ya know how being a kid goes

anyway... looking good! Can't wait to see what you do with it! (I bet that you'll drill holes in various things...just watch those digits! LOL)
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:28 PM

great deal on that
Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM

Nice buy. I picked mine for $75 off the 'List'. It's a floor model Central Machinery made in 1989 and still strong. Need to replace some set bolts, as the cast wingnuts have broken off. Even came with a machinist's vice attached.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 PM

Thanks guys. Hope it works out and Fox LMAO!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Upon 2nd look belt will need replaced soon $8, and two for $5 1/2" keys. Still not bad.
What kind of oil do I want to use when cutting drilling metal. I already set the belt to the slowest most torque spindle set up.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Lite Contributor

You want to use cutting oil if possible. Any oil helps but cutting oil is what is commonly used in machine shops. You also want to adjust the spindal speed with the belt according to what size drill you are using. The larger the drill, the slower your spindal speed should be. Also when you are drilling metal you want to slightly let up periodically then pull down into it again while drilling the holes. This causes the spiral shavings to break into pieces as they feed up and out of the material being drilled. If you don't, they can continually spiral out into long, vey sharp peices that can cut you very easily. Good luck with you machine. I have one that's approximately 60+ years old and still running great. Flux brushes work really good for swabing on the cutting oil. A tray hung down under the vise / platform works good to catch most of the shavings and used oil too -(makes for easier clean up). Be very carefull wearing long sleeve shirts around it when you are working. They can easily get wound up into the machine taking your hane / arm with it. Rule of thumb - no long sleeves, no rings, no loose long hair anywhere near it, especially at high spindal speeds.

Last edited by kittletstv; 04-07-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittletstv View Post
You want to use cutting oil if possible. Any oil helps but cutting oil is what is commonly used in machine shops. You also want to adjust the spindal speed with the belt according to what size drill you are using. The larger the drill, the slower your spindal speed should be. Also when you are drilling metal you want to slightly let up periodically then pull down into it again while drilling the holes. This causes the spiral shavings to break into pieces as they feed up and out of the material being drilled. If you don't, they can continually spiral out into long, vey sharp peices that can cut you very easily. Good luck with you machine. I have one that's approximately 60+ years old and still running great. Flux brushes work really good for swabing on the cutting oil. A tray hung down under the vise / platform works good to catch most of the shavings and used oil too -(makes for easier clean up). Be very carefull wearing long sleeve shirts around it when you are working. They can easily get wound up into the machine taking your hane / arm with it. Rule of thumb - no long sleeves, no rings, no loose long hair anywhere near it, especially at high spindal speeds.
Thanks for the information! After doing some research I found out mine is from 1995. I hope mine last through the years. No more walking drill bits and hand drills for this guy.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Lite Contributor

One other thing too. I don't know if you are familiar with using "center drills" or not but if not they work really good to give you a good starter hole to work with especially on round stock. They are short, stubby little drills specifically for making starter holes and they are available in different sizes. Nothing like having the right tools! Good luck
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 AM

I just realized my title spelling
Old 04-08-2014, 05:53 AM

I use penetrating oil for drilling, and like you, I have mine set to the lowest spindle speed. This keeps things manageable when drilling smaller pieces and and get caught on the bit and spin. Another thing to think about, is a drilldoctor. I have one here that gets used regularly, if you have a sharp drill bit, then you won't need much pressure on the press and keeps the heat from building up in the metal and the bit, which can distemper and ruin the bit. HF sells a decent drill bit set that has damn near every size you would need, and also grab a set of uni-bits for larger holes. A little extra investment now will save time and materials time and time again.

Something I am guilty of on mine is not checking to see if the table is level and this results in crooked holes through tube. Keep a level handy for this reason. A machinist's vise is also not a bad investment.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 AM

So that make this the equivalent of a "barnyard" find! lol