BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 05-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Lurker

Default Gio Kandi Spyder 250 cc battery drain issues

I have a brand new Kandi 250 cc that has a battery drain issue. It could very well just be a crappy Chinese battery, however the starter has locked engaged once and seems to have a heavy draw in comparison to our HH GTS 250 (big bore kit). I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue or may have any insight. I plan on swapping out the battery, but don't wanna spend the jingle if there are other issues that is causing the battery drain.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Supporting Vendor

maybe the rectifier? while it's running stick a volt/multimeter on it see what the battery reads, give it some gas and see if it goes up. if it does the rectifier is working. as far as the hard starting that could be a couple of things, if there is some sort of short somewhere then that might be an issue that would relate to both issues

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 05-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Lurker

It seems like the rectifier is working fine when I test with multimeter. Battery takes additional charge quickly and only seems to draw down over time. It is a very slow drain and is just enough to prevent the starter from turning over the engine with sufficient rpm.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Lurker

If I disconnect the battery it holds charge fine, something is definitely drawing the battery down!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:59 PM

one way to tell if you have a short in your electrical system is to disconnect your negative cable. to this cable touch it to the end of a 12 volt test light and hold it there. then you take the other end of the test light and touch the negative post on the battery. if your test light lights up, then you have a short. make sure your battery is charged before doing this and also it doesn"t matter which end you hook to what on the test light.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 PM

also do do the test above with engine not running and all key switches off.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Lurker

Will do, thanks!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Lurker

Found the problem, the safety switch on the brake pedal. The kart won't start without the break depressed. Turns out this switch was the battery drain, shorted internally and completely drained the battery on an attempted start. Took the switch out of the loop by bypassing it. Battery holding charge now.............
Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 AM
Lurker

How did you determine that the brake pedal safety switch was your problem. How did you bypass it? I'm having the same issue.

To make sure the battery was good, although it's new. I took it out of the gokart and let it set for 2 days. It kept it's charge. I then put it back in the gokart and within 12 hours the voltage dropped. Just as before, it will be dead in 2 days.

Thanks, Bill
Old 09-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

I'm not sure how he determined this was his drain. The switch is just as implied a switch. A switch does not draw a thing for it only creates a path for current to flow. It is either open and not allowing current to flow or closed allowing current to flow. On vehicles equipped when you turn the key to start nothing happens due to this switch, wired into the start circuit being open thus not allowing current to flow to the start solenoid. Once the brake pedal is pressed the switch is closed allowing current to flow to the start solenoid. Now on the Kandi buggy he is referring to, the safety start switch and brake light are on the same circuit so if the switch was stuck in the closed position it would be evident by the brake light being illuminated at all times. If your buggy has a brake light make sure it is not illuminated when pedal is not pressed. Check your ignition switch with a volt meter making sure your ignition switch is not supplying power to the CDI with key off. If not it could be in the stator. In this case it will be cheaper and quicker to just install a battery disconnect.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Lurker

I agree with you...

My Brake Light is wired to the same switch and is not on all the time. I would think too, that if it was shorted out (closed), then the gokart would start without having to press the pedal.

Strange thing is.... Is that when I unhooked the wires from the switch, the battery held its charge.

I am considering a battery disconnect switch. What would you recommend. I use to work in EMS and our ambulances had disconnect switches, but I don't want anything that big.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Supporting Vendor

I just use a 30amp toggle on my buggies mounted in the electrical box. Just make sure it is waterproof and of good quality. I order mine from Jegs or Summitt. Your positive off the battery runs up to the start solenoid just get you some more same gauge wire and run from battery to switch then from other pole on switch to solenoid. Using elecrtical tape wrap the wires so that nothing contact them causing a short, drill hole in cover and mount the switch.