BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 12-19-2016, 12:35 AM
Contributor

Default Gtr 250/300 spool/axle brainstorming

Ok guys ive been brainstorming on a replacement for the center spool and cv axles on the gtr 250. Ive got it in my mind that the center spool can be replaced with a front limited slip differential from an atv or a lsd from small car/truck. Take the chunk out of the diff housing and replace ring gear with sprocket and carrier bearings with sealed bearrings.....Profit?????

Ive really been eyeballing a front carrier from a trx500/rubicon....its got a ring gear that unbolts and a cam and pawl lsd....racheting action which to my understanding is similar to a traxloc/trulock locker.....i may be wrong tho. Main problem is i believe the carrier bearings are 29mm id.....they dont make sealed bearings with that id....28mm 28.5mm then jumps to 30mm.

Few options.

1. Have the carrier shaved down except a 28mm bearing.
2. Have a press on sleeve made to accept a larger bearing
3. Have bearings custom made.

Next is finding a set of axles the right length/splinecount. The gtrs axles are 22.5 iches fully compressed i believe. Ive been noticing most atvs have the bearings in the hub instead of the knucle. That may or may not matter as long as the splines are long enough to go through the gtrs knuckle and get a hub on it.

The parts dont have to be honda...in fact it dont matter what make/model as long as a proper diff/axle combo can be found. The goal is to find a combo of mostly junkyard or off the shelf parts that can be rettrofitted to our buggys cheaper than paying 4-600 bucks for the stock gtr axels or that 1200+ dollar upgrade kit from canada.

Any help/ideals would be awesome and help on various atv axle lengths would be great. This brainstorming came about after getting 2 gtrs recently and finding one with a broke centershaft and axle and the other has the centershaft twisted bad on both ends. The one with the broke shafts is going to be the irs donor for my crossfire build.

Edit... I think I may have settled on can-am outlander front carrier because I like the visco lok locker.
HH250SS..RIP (IRS donor for the crossfire)
HammerHead 150
Gs Moon buggy 150
Many other random parts buggys (still never have what im needing tho :/ )