BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Contributor

Default New clutch bell?

Just wondering if its worth swapping out to an NCY or DR Pulley clutch bell. Much of a gain going that route? I notice at times that if i floor the cart sometimes it sounds like the clutch is spinning around in the bell and its not hooking up. that is only on take off and doesnt happen often. Just curious as i have not owned the buggy a month and i dont think the bell should be worn out yet. it did feel smooth when i checked it while putting the torque spring in. Any thoughts?

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Rare to wear out a clutch bell. That is normal to hear that sound during take off as the clutch shoes start to engage it. Clutch mods are one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do cause it is something you will feel.

You say you changed the torque spring, what did you change it to?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Contributor

Default Torque spring

I changed it to a 1500 spring. I didn't know it was normal for the clutch to make that noise. I figured it may be due to it being kind of smooth in the bell. Like i said it doesnt happen often. I just see by reading info on the NCY bell, they claim it is lighter, dissipates heat faster, and hooks up better. As far as the DR Pulley i havent seen any kind of claims on it helping anywhere. can anyone confirm that it is worth the time to change. Dont feel like taking the cover off again for a mod that may be a complete waste. I still have to rip the head, muffler, and filter box off to install my other goodies.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Lite Contributor

I don't know how many miles you have on yours or how hard you ride it but on my trailmaster 300 the clutch didn't last long at all if I remember right under 300 miles. It started making a noise when I rode it up steep hills. It was metal on metal. No pads left.