BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 AM

Lightbulb CVT fresh air intake/snorkel

I read some threads on here about this and was just a bit more curious. I saw where X-bird made an intake and I liked the concept of it. My cvt does not overheat I am just thinking more cooler air the better, especially to prevent belt slippage...right? I saw a thread on Bear's redneck ram air where Masterbates was talikng about some kind of crazy set up ( could you explains this more Masterbates?)
Should I also make a longer exhaust port on the CVT too?
Just curious here. I was thinking about putting a UNI air filter on the buggy and using the Carbides stock air scoop for a CVT fresh air intake.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Heavy Contributor

Run a snorkel from ur cvt intake up high above the driver and put a screen off a camping tent on the end. Its what I did its nice cold clean air up thereaway from the heat of ur motor. And the dirt from underneath the buggy floor. You'll be good no doubt.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Heavy Contributor

Oh yea the hose I used is off the wet vacc at home depot...
Old 09-01-2013, 01:04 PM

Cool, thanks Eddie. I would probably trap too much heat if I lengthen the exhaust hose huh...?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Heavy Contributor

Exhause hose? You mean snorkel? No just make surethe other vent on ur cvt cover are clear not clogged air must curculate.. go in and come out.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:40 PM

Will do. I was just thinking a longer snorkel on cvt exhaust port since i do cross a creek at my local riding spot. That way belt does not get wet from there.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Power User

most cases just have a sort of "split chambered" exit at the bottom rear of the case. If yours actually has a hose/fitting of some sort coming off of it, by all means, take advantage of it.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 PM

It may not help if you are fording a deep portion of water, but it has been mentioned on here before about taking the cover off the rear most portion of the cover, and drilling holes through it, and gluing or riveting some scotchbrite pad to the inside of the modded cover. I might go as far as using a bit of water proofer or air filter oil on the scotchbrite to repel water, but if you sink it that far, it probly won't help at all.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 09-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Contributor

I think whether a intake extension will help you will probably depend a lot on what type of driving you are doing. Adding a hose to the intake will actually restrict the flow. However, if you tend to drive at a fairly fast speed and add a scoop, you will force more air into the CVT.

Consequently, if you tend to putt around a lot, the extension hose may actually cause the CVT to run hotter. For slow speed driving, the most cooling is going to be generated by the fan effect generated by the variator.

So, you may want to see what kind of air passage is being generated by your system. If you can find the exhaust port, see if you can feel how much air is moving through the system to help you guide your decision. Of course, if you have to deal with water keeping the CVT sealed is a number one priority. From the research I have done on CVTs, water is a far worse enemy then dirt or even a "little" excess heat.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 AM
Heavy Contributor

The idea behind adding a hose extension to prevent clogging of the inlet and giving a clean fresh air source. The small foam filter inside the rubber intake boot will clog in a matter of minutes under some conditions. A 2.5' hose, a couple of feet long will not restrict air flow. The variator fan is not that efficient and doesn't exceed the volume of air supplied by a extension. The type of filter used can do more damage than good. A carb filter can be too restrictive as there isn't the velocity to pull air through. All you need is something to keep junk out, a fine screen or a scotch pad is good.
There's two schools of thought on sealing the belt system. those who continually get into deep water want to seal the case in order to keep as much water as possible out while others who may get wet on occasion want plenty of avenues for water to escape quickly. Those who continually douse the system in dirty muddy water have as much maintenance to keep the system clean. A day in the swamp requires a good cleaning if you expect the system to perform through that trip again. Like any mechanical devise , it's not fool proof and will require attention if you expect it to last.
Water doesn't permanently damage the system, just creates belt slip until the belt dries. Flushing clean water through the system on occasion washes away dust and trash and clears the passages. I'll take a water hose to the extension, flush and run dry.
As we speak, I'm fabbing a box scoop to house a small fan to force air down the extension. it will mount up on the rear rack. The fan might not make a significant difference but it won't hurt. I just thought I'd give it a try.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM

The trails I ride on are a mix of everything. WV offers some good riding, and that just around the block from me. I have yet to take it for an all day ride. The snorkel intake is complete. I simply cut my air scoop tubing 1 3/4" and siliconed it with a 2 1/2" shop vac tubing (new) and joined it to CVT intake. The air scoop on the carbide comes stock between the headrests. The scoop even has a small size hole in it to drain any water or moisture build up. It will get plenty of air flow. I decided to add a 6" snorkel ( increased from the stock 3" on the exhaust/exit end of the CVT (ASW's have both intake and exit).
The exit port I did in a U shape since water will not get in it if it is submerged (like a bucket upside down in water). I think I will line the scoop with a fine screen maybe pantyhose or something similar LOL. CKAU sounds like a sure way to keep temp down on CVT. Goodluck.

Thanks for the input guys.

P.s. UNI filter and 1500 clutch springs will be here this week.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

Lets rock!!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:49 AM

CVT Snorkel/intake in place. I lit an candle and blew it out, even at idle it sucks in the smoke slightly. With acceleration sucks in quite a bit more. CVT still gets a little hot, it does sit next to muffler. But the greater volume of air intake from the scoop does help with the circulation a bit better I believe.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Air scoop with panty hose filter Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SlickNick View Post
Air scoop with panty hose filter Lol.
panty hose makes for a perfect filter screen! Cheap, plentiful and easy to get!
Personally, I like the ones with the seam up the back of the leg... I think they're hot!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:50 PM

I know right
Hopefully it doesn't get any runs in it. Wouldn't want any dust in my cvt unit.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Heavy Contributor

Yup the ones with the black seam on the back are hot and sexy.